Thursday, May 08, 2008

Getting A Life

A good friend of mine recently told me that all she does is get up, go to work, go home, walk her dogs[unless she's too tired--then she just turns them out into the backyard to run awhile] go to bed and start all over. I said she could have some of my life. Yesterday and today are a typical slice. Yesterday we [the kids I tutor, their Mom and my son] went to downtown Columbus to see the Santa Maria. It was really interesting--quite different from the Jamestown ships actually 100+ years made a huge difference! Next we swung by the old deaf school to see the topiary gardens because I'd heard of it and wanted to see it. I was quite surprised, if you walk up to the rise not only do you see a relief of the painting [I forget its actual name...I only remember the play!] but it is all topiary, "Sunday in the Park with George"! The Paris park scene painted by George Surat: Isle de something. So I assigned the kids a paper on the Santa Maria. After dumping the kids, we mothers went for lunch and to the library for some time sans teens. whew! Just need that break sometimes!

Today, we started tutoring earlier than usual, this so that we could get a good two hours under our belts before another friend collected me. We went out to take pictures for the power point we're putting together for one of the songs for our ward's Patriotic Program [for Armed Services Day] 17 May. It goes along with the song the choir sings "To the Unsung Heroes". Lunch and many pictures later we whipped over to the missionaries apt, where one received a haircut from my friend outside while others and I loaded their unpacked moving boxes from last week into the van for drop off at my house. Finally reached home about 15 minutes late, grabbed my make-up shirt, boxes were unloaded, and Richard and I took off for his school production of Treasure Island. I'm ready for bed, but am giving Seth 'til midnight to e-mail his paper to me!

Oh, and before all that--both days--I've been working on a script for our book club skit at the Stake Enrichment Day. Unlike my friend...I have too much life! But I wouldn't have missed this time for anything, it has been some of the happiest time in my life. Tomorrow I am going to put new batteries in the camera. I will take tulip pictures--both in the yard, and ones Keith sent "before Mother's Day" .

If I didn't do the things I do already, I can see a half dozen other activities in which I could easily get involved in my community. How does anyone get to the point where they do not have a life? There is so much out there and available to do! Anyone need a few suggestions? I got tons! :)

2 comments:

Lura said...

I read this a while ago and am finally commenting. You know, after reading your last entry and now this one, it's a good thing you're "retired" and have time to do so much of what you love to do.

Obviously, to you, retired does not mean slowing down at all. I think that's great.

Lura said...

I read this a while ago and am finally commenting. You know, after reading your last entry and now this one, it's a good thing you're "retired" and have time to do so much of what you love to do.

Obviously, to you, retired does not mean slowing down at all. I think that's great.