Monday, August 25, 2008

A Great Invention

Sippy cups--what a great invention! I wish they'd been around when my kids were small. I don't have a clue when they appeared, just somewhere between my children and my grandchildren. I liked them when I first saw the kids with them.

Then, sitting with my friend and her kids, I began to get jealous. Every Sunday, right after the Sacrament, out come four sippys, four snacks and peace continues until appetites are fed. As an adult who is supposed to carry a bottle of water at all times and drink frequently [according to my "How to be a Good Diabetic Class"] I had trouble. Because of my left side of my mouth having no feeling, dribbling is a frequent hazard with a water bottle.

So, I did it! I bought my own sippy cup. No cartoon characters. No movie characters. No fancy designs. Just a nice plain blue sippy. No more dribbles--I take it to church, to choir, to bed, and it works! And no more spills because of being knocked over! No more overflows trying to open a water bottle and using too much pressure with my left hand holding [squeezing] the bottle as I attemp to open a new one. It is a win-win situation!

Sorry, kids, you should be used to my embarrassing you by now! The sippy cup stays--what a great invention :) Got to go refill my sippy and go to bed now. Good night.

11 comments:

Sariah said...

First of all... you're the biggest weirdo ever. I'm not even joking on this matter.

Second... I distinctly remember a blue cup with handles and a lid of sorts and a weighted bottom that didn't knock over easily: yes, a sippy cup.

Third... You do know they make a million and one different kinds of water bottles, right? You can find one that would work better than your run of the mill bottle, and you wouldn't look like an idiot carrying around a sippy cup.

terrierchica said...

wow sariah, even I'm not that mean. yeah, you're the idiot here, not mom. she made a smart move for her health. yeah it's a little silly, but it works, and that's what's important.


and mom I think you should switch to a lightning mcqueen cup like jago's. it's wicked cool.

Allrie said...

Thank you for your honesty, girls.

Sariah, I've tried literally dozens of different types of water bottles to no avail. I'm keeping my sippy cup.

Also, the kind of cups we had for your generation were more like Weebles. The bottoms were indeed weighted so they would wobble, but not fall over--but there was no lid.

So I shall continue to be the biggest weirdo ever--it works for me. Incidently, I got that cup for Jago, Erica.

Sariah said...

Erica, I'm not mean. How is stating what i remember and know about water bottles and sippy cups being mean??? I AM embarrassed, however, but Mom knows that, really, it's not any of your business what I comment to Mom. Oh, and "for her health"??? Whatever. It's for her convenience. There's a big difference.

Mom, I distinctly remember a white lid. I don't know why, but I do. And I have been to people's houses where they have kept sippy cups from when their children were little (who are my age and are now grown) so that they have something for kids to use at their house. They may not be as technologically advanced or whatever, but sippy cups existed. Just sayin'.

terrierchica said...

oh really? none of my business? try not posting on a public forum then. wow, you have reached a new level of...nevermind, for mom's sanity, I will stop myself. More than you can say, anyway.

Sariah said...

I talked to mom. We're fine. Too bad you have to get all in a snit about what Mom and I say to each other.

Out of curiosity... a new level of WHAT, exactly? If you'd like to insult me, go for it. I know you don't think highly of me anyway. You won't surprise me with you contempt for me.

Oh, and I DO stop myself. A LOT. There are a lot of things I don't say to you because when it comes down to it, I have a higher opinion of you than you do of me. I mainly try to stay civil. That is where we differ.

terrierchica said...

hahahahahahaha! if you have to say you're civil, you're not. it's like when people say they are humble or modest...they aren't.

Sariah said...

Erica, if you have a problem with me, why don't you just email me and get it done with? You're being ridiculous here.

And I didn't say I WAS civil. I said I MAINLY TRY TO BE civil. Big difference.

Allrie said...

Wow! I didn't mean to start a fight! Let's lay off the contention. Please.

Sariah said...

She started it. (pouts and stomps foot on ground) ;-)

Michael K. said...

(pokes head in)

Heya. Just wanted to say thanks for the comment on my blog, Valerie. I didn't even know you had one!

What part of the Gulf Coast are you on? I have family in Vidor, TX and we were just there (and in New Orleans) in June as we drove to Florida. We could have dropped in.

BTW, since we got Seth, we were astonished at the impressive advances made in sippy-cup technology since we had Elizabeth. That's all I'm going to say about that. ;)

--michael and rachel