Friday, July 21, 2006

Fast

We took a Fast trip to Chicago. In all reality, it is only 6 hrs away. With two drivers, that does go pretty fast. We left approxamately 1:00am so we could arrive about 7:00am to get our tickets and get in. We whizzed through Dayton [nephews I didn't stop to see] Indiannapolis [next time a stop to see a cousin and maybe a nephew] Lafayette [it really would have been nice for us if Ches had gotten the Purdue job] and on into Chicago.

We went directly [via a sort of indirect path] to the Field Museum. I've never approached Chicago from quite that angle before, so missed the Skyway [a road] and bumbled around a bit before finding my way to Lakeshore Drive, upon which lies the Museum Campus. Now, Lakeshore Drive is right along the Lake as name implies, so you just keep heading towards Lake Michigan, and eventually you will find it. We did.

Although it was just a few minutes after 8:00when we reached the lines' front, we still got into the 8:00 tickets--thus making our goal.

This exhibit is from King Tut's Tomb. It began with his family tree [I was hooked] and went through his family and life as explained by items from his tomb. It was really fabulous! I don't know how thrilled Richard was, but he, at least, seemed to enjoy it. Erica seemed, of course, fascinated.

A lunch and bathroom break were definitely in order after finishing King Tut. We sat where we could watch Sue. She is the most comple tyranus rex around, and huge!

After lunch we bumbled around the African and Asian animals areas until completely running out of steam. From there we went out towards O'Hare airport to find inexpensive, but decent lodgings in a safe area for the night. It worked. We slept through the afternoon. Richard and Erica got up to go to a Cubs game [yay Cubbies! We won!] I slept some more. Upon their return, we all had a good night's sleep, then drove into the city the next day to go to Marshall Field's Department Store. But that is a story for Fascinating. Really! So I'll on with Fast for today: Leaving Chicago, we drove quickly though a piece of In and on up into MI where we spent a nice with my step-brother's family in Marcellus. I was hoping to do a little genealogical research in a tiny hamlt called Climax. My sis-in-law called me back for particulars, and when we arrived, she printed out pages drom her genealogically bug-bit aunt, who solved all the question and there was no longer a need to drive up to Climax the next day, so we didn't. Thurs saw a quick visit to Grandma Jan in Mishawaka, IN then back on the road and home by 11:30 pm! And that was with taking the National Road--Hwy 40 rather than I-70 the freeway. It was fun and interesting, but most definitely NOT FAST! So the last little bit we hopped back onto the freeway and home. Sigh.

I think I'm getting too old for fast trips like this.

2 comments:

Proud Mum said...

I'm so jealous: Tut and Marshall Field's?

Tut came to Hawaii when we were living there. I didn't get to see it, but my husband did on a press pass. He said it was so so so amazing, and lost on most of the people with whom he attended. I'm sure it was NOT lost on you! :-)

Did you by any chance pick up some Frango Mints at MF? Just thinking about them is making my mouth water.

Allrie said...

Sorry to be so slow responding...
Tut was ESPECIALLY not lost on Erica. It was an amazing exhibit.
No to the mints--didn't know about them. I was only about 8 when we moved to CA, and that was not something I remembered...tho now that you mention it, it does sound familiar.
Gues I'd better do a final post on the trip, eh?