Monday, July 30, 2007

Grandmothering is sooo much fun!

Yesterday [Sun] my grandaughter--and her parents--came to visit. I love visiting with her parents, but she is the most fun! We went barefoot out into the yard. She examined every flower, naming colors and gleefully discovering the various trolls among them [Others might call them gnomes, but to me they are trolls--another topic for another time] One was sleeping and hidden behind a new mass of purple flowers, so we had to find him a new place. Chloe tried more than a dozen before she was satisfied.

We walked around to the backyard and to my tiny garden. Finally, I have tomatoes!!! We counted at least ten [they're really hiding] and several peppers, picked some basil leaves to crush and smell, and followed the tendrils of squash and pumkin that are growing wildly crazy out of the box and blooming with bright orange blossoms that hopefully mean the fruit is not far behind!

In one corner ther was a little blank spot. Just the right size for the sleeping dwarf. This is where he now reposes, keeping watch over the vegetable garden. Chloe was right. The garden neede a dwarf, too.

I have really loved havng these visits off and on. Even Todd [our shy cat] came out to see Chloe. Her exuberant, " Hi, Todd!." was a little too much and he hid again, but he did creep out a couple more times. He's ready to see her--just not have her see him! But she pets Fleury and they seem to have reached quite an understsnding. She talks to "Furry" awhile, then goes on to something else. She often returns, and he mostly just accepts her now, recognizing she is part of he family. At least we'll see them one more time before this lovely [for me anyway] interlude is over. I know they are looking forward to being home for good, but it has been so nice to see them fairly regularly this summer.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post is so sweet. I love that you take the time to really enjoy your granddaughter - sometimes I get so busy in life I forget to enjoy the little moments with my kids - this was a very sweet and wonderful reminder. :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Sorry about the delete - somehow my comment posted twice.

Sariah said...

Chloe told me on the phone yesterday about how she went to Grandma's and saw tomatoes and trolls and smelled flowers and played with Fluery and she loves going to Grandma's house. Of course, she said it all in her cute little voice that I can't start to imitate! :)

Lucky little Chloe! She will love going homeand being able to go to her other grandma's house, but she will sure miss seeing this Grandma.

Allrie said...

And this Grandma will miss seeing Chloe. And I miss seeing all the boys, too. I think about each and every one of them every day.

I love our home here. I have real friends. I am involved in church and community.

I just wish all my family were close enough to be an integral part of my life, and me of theirs.