Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Y is for Years

Y is for all the Years I take to accomplish any project. Even when I finish a project, it sometimes takes me years to deliver it [like Lura's "Mugtoons" quilt]. However I am discovering that the years are paying off. I've worked for many years [decades even] on just one area of our genealogy. This week with the newFamilySearch [we are in one of the experimental areas] the brick wall came a tumbalin' down! And I've "met" a new relative! So again I urge all who can take even a half hour per week to do a page of indexing--so much of the information we seek is out there--and now we're getting it to be availible to everyone who needs it.
I'm beginning to really notice the rapid passage of the years as I contemplate my last child leaving home for college [oh, all right, so once again we are leaving and moving the home...still, no more kids at home] and grandchildren rapidly moving into the stage of life that so recently my youngest has left: ruled by school days and schedules, starting sports...the years, they go so fast.
I am so grateful for scrapbooking [thanks, Sariah--even if my style is quite different from yours] as I have found it a good and satisfying way to record family history. Making Vol I of Vinnie's Been There, Done That Book was truly pleasurable, it helped me as it brought back so many really good memories along with a way to ignore the not so good.
I notice with health changes and concerns that I am not as young as I used to be...the years are passing. But it is all good. I am able to do things now that I could not do when I was younger due to other responsibilities and concerns. It is part of life that the years go on by, hopefully we take full advantage of the experiences offered us, but realistically, we don't always succeed. In the coming years I hope to do better concentrating on what is really important.
Fill out one of those 12 generation family pedigree charts...and boy do the years whiz by! I am amazed that I can fill in all the way to the end of the chart in so many lines...and it seems like just a moment ago rather than almost forty years since my Grandpa and I began working together on our family tree. He always wanted to know the first names of his grandparents [Adam and Margaret] and now I know the names of his 10th Great grandparents, and more! Families, stretching back through the years of history...and families stretching on into the mists of the years to come.

No comments: