Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Epiphany

I mean the feast day--not the generic word. For those who may not know, let me explain. Epiphany is celebrated on 6 Jan in many parts of the world. It is a Holy Day of Obligation for Catholics [to be treated just as Sunday]. For many cultures it is the day of the gift-giving of the Season. It celebrates the three Wise Men's arrival to the Christ Child. Epiphany, or showing.

Sicilian and many Southern Italian children [and their descendants] celebrate the day by receiving gifts and baked goods from La Befana [or the old witch]. Tomie De Paola did a beautiful rendition of the story which I highly recommend called Old Befana.

In our family we keep the tradition--mostly because when my big kids were little and it was their Dad's turn to have them for Christmas, I wanted to have the holiday with them anyway. Part of the tradition is also to give out gifts to those who serve you [like the mailman etc. during te year as well].

This year I am falling back into old habits of not getting packages or even cards mailed out in a timely manner. So, it is for Epiphany, not Christmas. So it is not late. So there. Oh, except for Sariah's birthday present. [but you'll really like it!]

Surely I'm not the only one who needs to celebrate Epiphany...am I?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas!!!!