Sunday, November 18, 2007

In case you do not know what I am referring to when I mention: the Pageant, the Nativity, etc. the following is one of the advertisements I sent out to family and friends. It is the most difficult thing I have ever directed...because it is so varied and each detail much be followed. Each "scene" is presented in a very different way, for example: lighting--in the Marketplace is basically the cultural hall lighting, but on the Road to Bethlehem, we employ directional lights that turn on by movement. The Inn is lit by candles and lantern from inside, garden solar lights in the courtyard, and a couple [electric, disguised as not electric] torches. Add a couple strands of decorative lights in the bushes, and we're done. For the shepherd encampment [in addition to the fire pit] where and when the angels appear, we use a conglomerration of lighting trees [in regular life, volleyball poles] and a behemoth sound/lighting platform. We are adding an additional light this year to shine straight up and out of the Herald angel's costume, and a star above his head. Moving back indoors for the Holy Family in their cave, we use the lights in the foyer sparingly, with one focused on the Holy Family, and just enough other light for people to see by. Last year we used just the regular lights in the overflow for the courtyard of the temple, but I'd like to have a spot on Simeon's door. Not yet figured out! In the Temple, we have some ambient lighting from the side sconces, add a spotlight where the major action is, and light from the Menorah. And that's just the lighting!!! Every other aspect of the pageant must be similarly dealt with! I'm so tired! Two weeks to go and still so much to do! Then perhaps I can think R is for something other than rehearsal: here's my "flier"...

Nativity Enactment
"A Prophesy Unfolds"

Presented by
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints
6500 Fox Hill Dr
Canal Winchester, Ohio


FREE ADMISSION
TICKET REQUIRED due to limited group size

Call for FREE TICKETS: 614-837-8207

THURS NOV 29: 7:00, 7:30, 8:00
FRI NOV 30: 6:30, 7:00, 7:30, 8:00, 8:30
SAT DEC 1: 5:30, 6:00, 6:30, 7:00, 7:30

Come enjoy the LIVE NATIVITY plus the Marketplace at Bethlehem, [watch out for the Romans...] at the Inn, and later at the Temple with their Son. View with the shepherds the amazing appearance of angels.
Afterward as you explore the Marketplace, you will be offered free refreshments and the opportunity to visit the creche rooms containing a large collection of Nativity sets from around the world.
Sign Translation for the deaf throughout, Spanish and many other languages available upon request. [European, Asian, and African] If other languages required, please let us know when you order your tickets.

Of course, my smart-alec daughter [who won't be here anyway] asked for translation for...Canadian!

9 comments:

Sariah said...

You should clarify WHICH smart-alec daughter. It wasn't me!

terrierchica said...

hahahahaha come on who is THE smart alec of the family?

yours truly, of course.

Allrie said...

I didn't think I needed to clarify, although with the Canadian remark, I guess it could have been you Sariah...but with the Gaelic response--it had to Erica--who else would be such a smart alec about it anyway!

Now I hoped for some nice comment or question about the Nativity...too much to hope for, eh? [That's the Canadian for you, Erica]

Anonymous said...

I wish I could come... :)

terrierchica said...

you know, mom, you didn't mention your gaelic response in your post...

Sariah said...

What Gaelic response??

Those of us that read your blog all know all about the Nativity. That's all you talk about... All. Year. Long. ;-) So what do we need to ask about it?

fourth_fret said...

heh. this conversation is funny.

it's been awhile and i apologize for just dropping in so randomly. i just wanted to wish you a happy thanksgiving.

Lura said...

Yeah, so like they said: what Gaelic responce? AND, why would something Gaelic necessarily mean Erica? Why not me? Hmmmmmm?

Allrie said...

The Nativity is over for this year...so I respond.
Goofy J, thank you--it was a great spirtual experience.
Fourth Fret, welcome back! I've been worried about you having not heard from you or seen you anywhere for a very long time--you're welcome to drop in randomly at any time!
Explanation of Gaelic rresponse. Erica [on the phone, if I remember correctly] asked me if we had translatior for Canadian. Of course, I know she was being silly, so I responded in kind, saying I'd expeted she would ask for translation...for Irish or Gaelic because that is the language she would really like to learn [being influenced by her love of Irish authors as well as anything else Irish.] I chose to say Gaelic rather than Irish to be a little more inclusive [Scots, and Orkney Islanders speak other forms of Gaelic.]