Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Accents

This is all your fault, Fourth Fret! I really enjoyed talking to you on the phone, but was taken quite by surprise with your accent. I think I was polite enough not to comment about that "ignorant sounding, hokie Okie accent" as a close friend of mine was always teased. But you pulled off the gloves, so...

I like regional accents. Regional accents are unfortunately disappearing, but they lend a color to life which is also disappearing. I, myself, have a faint midwestern accent--until commented upon. Then my a's get flaater and flaaater. I also have Chicago traces from my mom, a few Wisconsin words from my Grandma, [ the dresser "draw"and not a few pronunciations giving away my Dad's Italian Brooklyn/NJ roots. [Certain high school friends used to tease me to say 'daughter'-"dwah-ter" and "chwahclat"] [My Uncle lived on "Da cawnah of toid and toidy toid streets" for real!]

I've enjoyed the regional accents everywhere we lived...until Arkansas. There it was a full year before I could understand anyone over the phone. My friends, Sue and Yevonne were always on my case for talking too fast [when I thought I was really dragging!] I usd to tell them to think faster. Sue and I figured out an interesting phenomena. She served her Mission in upstate NY and was treated as the dim bulb in the box always. She's not--dim, I mean. It was just her speech--accent and slower rate. There was a Sister in my Mission [Independence, Missouri] who [I am ashamed to admit] was treated much the same way. Sister Blaylock was from Biloxi, Mississippi. Same problem. She was most cetainly not dim, just slower of speech, and with a thick accent unfamiliar to most of the missionaries who were from the west. [And don't think those Utahan don't have their own. Ask which temple is furthest south in Utah--Saint Garge. Of course there's a temple in American Fark nowdays, too.]

In Arkansas I became tired of people razzing me about my accent. So my oh so gracious reply was, "Turn on your TV. Listen to the people talk. Do they sound like you or like me? I rest my case." The Midwestern/ California influenced accent has become the Standard American Broadcast accent, so I could get away with that. Perhaps that'ss why my bishop recommended that I read Dale Carnegie's book, How To Win Friends and Influence People. When I said I already had, he said to read it again.

Tease all you want. Let others tease you, but in our increasingly homogonous country, let's try to keep and enjoy our regional accents, all y'all, 'cause they're like waay wicked! And youse gotta admit it, ya follow?

1 comment:

fourth_fret said...

well, that was a meanie head thing to say. :P

actually, i like dialects too... and i think it's one of the reasons i don't mind people mocking my own. the voices on t.v. i grew up with became familiar in real life when i moved to the northwest (and even california). i don't want you to pinch my ears off for saying so, but i didn't tie your dialect to "television" dialect. heh.

it's all good though. i enjoy dialects almost as much as i love homegrown sayings.