Thursday, March 22, 2007

Thank You

I just have to publically say thank you to Sariah, Lura and especially Julia for responding to my post about my inner turmoils and the pageant. I have written a note to last year's director to apologize for unintentional hurts, and that there were no intentional hurts. Interestingly, as soon as I got to church on Sun, I was informed by the Executive secretary that the bishop wanted to meet with me right after church. I gulped and told Nick I felt sick. He said, "You'll be fine." A few minutes later I went back to him ... "It's about the pageant, right?" "Right." "Now I feel really sick." "You'll be fine." A couple minutes and I was back, "Is it just me, or others?" He named two other names--including last years director. "I really feel sick." "You'll be fine."

Fortunately, it was time for church to start. I worried through Sac Mtg. I worried through SS. I worried through RS. I REALLY felt sick. As I waited in the foyer, carefully talking to someone else entirely, Nick came by and said, 'You'll be fine." I was beginning to believe him. Until I walked into the bishop's office with the others. Last years director started to launch right in as to take control of the meeting--Nick woudn't let her. Then the bishop wouldn't let her say a word. He said his piece. He mentioned a need for asking people with a little more tact--and she launched into two minutes of vitriol against me before anyone could take a breath. The other person sat in the corner looking like he was pretending not to be there! [and probably wished he weren't!] I sat stiff and straight. [And I didn't cry!} Bishop recovered quickly from his shock never having heard her attack me like that before [I had] and stopped her. Completely. He pointed out how great a thing the Psgeant was last year, but that he could and would quash it NOW if need be. She quieted down as he proceeded to outline the way things would work this year. I am director. She is essentially the artistic director. Any major changes must go through the executive producer. We don't even have to speak to each other. I left, feeling sick. I had told the bishop on many occasions thatI did not have to direct--I would bow out if needed. He says I am to direct, and after the meeting basically told me that he wanted me to do things my way. Whew. Later that afternoon, I rceived a phone call from her apologizing for jumping on me that way. I accepted her apology, but I feel just like last fall when she did basically the same thing to me for keeping things moving when she was out sick. So now I really know--how she feels, and that I am a friend only so far as she can use me. Oh well. The pageant is worth it on so many levels. This is my last public complaint. Now to go forward. With a smile :)

5 comments:

Lura said...

I pretty much said everything to you on the phone the other day. I just wanted to remind you yet again that we all love you, and know you can do a great job as director.

You are going to have it be so much more organized than last year, so we'll actually get to get a hold of you sometimes, right? :)

Allrie said...

Right.

I will be directing. That means I will hold the few rehearsals needed with the large groups and the rehearsals needed with the principals. I will NOT be working on costumes, sets etc! And I will not be B's slave! So I will be availible to my family most of the time! As will everyone else if I can help it.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you had to go through all that - it is so hard to go through a major attack when you are not even in the wrong and are trying so hard to make things right. I hope that everything goes forward smoothely with the pagent. Sending a hug. :)

April_Mommy said...

Wow, that must have been horrible! I am sorry to hear that you had to endure that! Sometimes it would be nice if we could control the agency of others wouldn't it...

Allrie said...

Thanks, April. I really don't want ever to control he agency of others...but feel like it would be nice if others dodn't control mine...