Monday, April 09, 2007

Family history

Yes, again. But most of what I do is centered around it, so... I'd like to explain what it is.Scrapbooking is, of course FH. I have Richard's book up to date. I am making great strides in Erica's book.Then I'll move up the ladder: Lura, Vinnie, Sariah, Keith's and mine.Eventually I expect to organize the materials on my parents and do viable [tho obviously less detailed] books for them.I also have books going on family lines: SorBello, Sipe, Montesano, Lueckenbach, Pinion, Harrington, etc.I work on FamilySearch indexing. It is a fantastick project, and will make genealogical research so much easier.Our Ward is considering a cemetary project. The large cemetaries are kept up and lists are even availible online. However, within our Ward boundaries are dozens of little old family plots--it is not an uncommon site to see a "cemetary" of 5-10 gravestones and surrounded by a low wall or fence. Generally, they are not kept up. I think it quite sad that researchers cannot find this info. I will definitely participate should this project get off the ground.And, of course, as anyone who knows me is aware, I research my own ancestry. My Grandpa Sipe started it. Originally, we were doing a background check for family medical reasons, but out search turned up nothing [I know now that that for which we were seeking is a male-inherited characteristic, so we'd never find it working on my mother's side. But we found lots of interesting stuff anyway.]I have had the pleasure of getting to know or at least to meet distant cousins and mid-distant cousins, and forming family relationships that have enriched my life. How? Through bumping into others who were researching the same people.Why do I do it? Because once you start and the "genealogy bug" bites, one does not want to stop!Besides. I love my family. I've missed my big brother my whole life, as he was institutionalized on my second birthday. In those days, resources for people with brain-damaged children were far and few between. My brother, born with an open ventrical in the brain, was worse off than most. While he had a modicum of control over his muscles, he was both blind and deaf. I barely remember him, and indeed at this point, my memories are more like memories of memories as my mother helped me to remember him always. As a result, I've always felt close to Mark. A second brother was born many years later with he same problem, only worse as he had less control of his muscles. Being five years older than he, I remember Vance very well. Besides, he lived at home much longer--because the waiting list to get a child into the Children's Hospital in Northern Indiana was now much longer.My mother said in her last years how she wished they'd made a different choice and kept them home. But who was to know that the services would develop as they have? And indeed, too late for my brothers who died of old age when young children. I recall when Mark died, I was in the fifth grade, and broken hearted, had a long discussion with my teacher, Sister Nicholas. I asked her if Mark would still be my brother--even in heaven. She answered with an unwavering "Yes!" I knew she was right and was comforted. As the years went by and we lost family member after family member [Seemingly one per year] I never again wavered or worried, for I "Knew" that they would still be my brothers, my sister, my grandpa, etc.When I joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints [LDS or also cslled "Mormon"] I found that this is a widely shared and even focused upon teaching, not only at funerals. We have the ordinances of the Temple. We do earthly ordinances by proxy for family members who have not, perhaps, had that opportunity in this life. This makes them not LDS, but gives them the opportunity to accept the sealing bonds among families...if they should so choose. My nonCatholic Grandpa [mentioned above] never joined the Catholic church, even tho. the rest of his family were good, faithful, practicing Catholics. Upon his death, my Grandma had her priest baptize him right away--just in case--and he was given a Catholic burial. I think that the Temple Ordinances I do and have done for my deceased family members are to be viewed in the same way--just in case--only they can choose to accept them or not. But I will have given them the opportunity.How can anyone object to this? Still, many who are not of my faith, do object. If I am wrong--then I guess I'm wasting my time, if I am right, then it is a good thing I do. But what does it matter to anyone who does not believe? It is not hurting them in any way, It is not changing them in any way, if they don't accept it. I have discussed this with most of my older relatives, and most have told me to go ahead and have their work done for them. For some, it may be a way of hedging their bets, but for most, it is showing their support of me. Just as I would attend church dinners at the parish with my Mom, so would she attend ours when visiting. Her brother put it best,"If you are going to be a Mormon, then you be the best Mormon you can be. And that means doing the temple work, too."So, when I learned recently of a cousin's death, after shedding my tears, I brighened up and realized that because, due to some odd circumstances, I had not received notification until over a year afterwards. This means I can do her work right away--and seal her to her parents. It is what she told me to do, long ago.
draft

2 comments:

Lura said...

I had similar conversations with my mother-in-law. She asked that we do the temple work for her, mostly I think because she knows it means a lot to us.

I've alwys thought it was cool that you do geneology work. I like knowing who our ancestors are and cool stories about them. It makes history so much more personal for me.

Allrie said...

I guess I didn't go into that aspect in this blog--but making sure that these were and are real people is the best! It also makes history come alive to me--especially realizing we had family THERE! Wherever there might mean at the moment!