Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Reading and Grieving: Dedicated to our Friends at VA Tech

My current reading matter is somewhat eclectic. I am re-reading the Tennis Shoes books [Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites, The Sword of Gadianton etc. by Chris Heimendinger, a series written for LDS youth--I've not read last lst couple, so decided to start over as I read them as they came out initially, starting in the '80's.] I am reading Standing For Something by Gordon B Hinckley and this morning read a section on optimism and looking for the good--including the uplifting and famous paragraphs from a couple of Winston Churchill's speeches [we will continue to fight...] This is "feel good" reading, for that is what it does: it uplifts me and makes me feel good. However, at the same time, I'm reading and listening to news stories about The Massacre at Virginia Tech. I read an especially good commentary by someone I've never heard of before, that I recall. I don't know how to do links, so I simply cut and will now paste the URL:
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=55234 I encourage anyone to read this, it is not only about VTech but also about our society and grieving. Somehow, it all fits wilth the optimism of Pres. Hinckley in the face of horrific events. We must grieve before we can "have closure" or "begin to heal" and this writer expressed my thoughts so very well. I once learned firsthand about not grieving properly and wat it can do to you...in my case, I had a serious case of shingles for over six months, until I finally cried about the death in question. Sometimes grief is a very personal thing--over the death of someone close, over the death of a relationship, etc ... Other times, it can be a large scale event shared by strangers, Pearl Harbor, 9/11, the Sniper attacks in VA , DC and MD a few years ago, and now VTech. I grieve for those who were senslessly killed, I grieve for their amilies, and I grieve for their friends...still hoping and praying that none of our friends were among that group, but we don't yet know, a one person remains unacounted for as far as I know at this time. So let us grieve, and then go forward healing with optimism for the future.

No comments: