Saturday, June 09, 2007

Richard

Richard just left today for his "Mini-Mission". The Priests in our stake--maybe our whole Mission--I don't really know--are elsewhere with a set of missionaries for a week. They even received name tags saying "Elder ____" [it was explained that in this case the "Elder" was a title--temorarily assigned, not an office.] Richard was pretty excited about that! He even had to shave today [his first time] because he has not been clean shaven in quite awhile. [I had to laugh--well giggle.] There's the Italian blood showing--so gone is the mustashe, gone are the sideburns he's had since birth! His new haircut looked good--just like my Dad's--except missionaries have to have a part in their hair. I didn't know that! So he combed it that way this afternoon as he was preparing to leave, and commented how this was just how he wore his hair all his life [until about a year ago when he got it cut a little differently]. It was with a very wry tone. On the list were envelopes and stamps. He said he was not going to write a letter that would get home after he did, so he sorta forgot to take those items. I told him I expected a picture postcard at least--even if he brought it back with him. I hope he really works hard and gets a lot out of this opportunity.

Hmmm, I wonder if our Elders will have extra companions this week? We have two sets in our ward, so it seems highly possible to me. And we have one set scheduled for dinner this week as well! This could be interesting.

4 comments:

Lura said...

That sounds really cool, the mini-missions. I've never heard of any wards or stakes or anything doing that. Way more advanced than just going out on splits with the elders!

Allrie said...

Yes, I think it sounds great. I just think that it would be good if girls could do it too. Hmmm, think I'll have to talk to Pres. Madden about that. While I don't currently have a daughter who would want to do it, I suspect Sariah would have loved it.

fourth_fret said...

why the part? you always peak my curiosity and then leave me hangin'. :(

heh.

Allrie said...

Beats me...just a rule--I imagine to keep hairstyles very condservative. Sorry to leave you hanging--but it is the only way to hear from you lately! :)