Friday, February 09, 2007

Ramblin' Updates

For those following the weather/school debates in the midwest: M-W no school--2 cold days, 1 snow day, Th & F 2 hr delayed openings. No Seminary all week. Poor Richard didn't get the no Seminary message for Thurs, but did get the message to pick up a couple other kids from someone elses house rather than their own--which is on the way. So R left extra early [cause where they were wasn't on the way]. Fortunately, Ruthie was up to tell him--in case he hadn't gotten a call. The call came after he'd left! So he's now at the top of the call list! We expect the same sub-zero temps all next week, so we will probably have delayed openings again. And then there's the mid-week snow expected... Then the following week looks like a warm-up--hooray!
****
There is a little girl [2nd grade] in our town who is #1 on the organ transplant list. She needs 5. Yes that was FIVE. Her stomach and something else have already failed, and 3 more organs are in process. We are having a huge community fundraiser on the 17th for medical/travel etc. expenses for the family. A silent auction is part of it. Allied Weather [our company] is putting together a package for it. My heart just aches for the whole family. Please remember them in your prayers.
****
Do you know how many film companies there are? And they come and go like...butterflies! Keeping trtack is a full-time job at the moment!
****
I belong to our town's "Mainstreet" program, and got to go to a training meeting last Wed. It was really interesting as I learned first hand what it takes to have a vibrant downtown in cities large and small. As we talked on the "twice as long as it should have been" [due to snow] drive home, I was filled in more about what has happened in our village and what is going to happen. Even though we lost on the traffic light issue, I feel better about life again. First of all, I still cross at that corner--it is perfectly legal to walk across a highway, so I do, patiently and carefully. It is currently the safest route to town. We will get our overpass--I just hope I get to see it! Secondly--there are two sore spots in town--and both will soon be changed!

Of all the stuff the trainer's taught us needed to be done, I realized that our village is way ahead of the curve [no womder awards have been accorded]. I am excited to be part of this program, and to be able to share the information at the next Downtown meeting! [I feel very similar to the first time I was sent as my school's representative to a science workshop. It was hard to follow at times, but I have a new excitement which I am eager to share!] On our drive home I stated again that we need picture postcards of our town! My suggestion was applauded and accepted. Not to get the pictures taken--I had tried to get Jeremy [a photographer in town] to do it, but he closed up shop--he is now in Bentonville, AR, as head of the photography dept for Wal-Mart. So we need a volunteer. Not I! I inherited my mother's photography skills. Sad.
***
Well that's my ramblings from a busy week. Oh, and I've got Erica's Been There, Done That book up through Maine. I'm toolin' along [and Sariah setting aside pics etc. for you as well].

4 comments:

Sariah said...

Sounds like you're pretty busy... as usual! :) I'm glad you like it, though. Don't forget to label those pictures with that photo-labeling pencil I sent you or with an acid-free pen. And if you're using a pen, make sure the pen is dry before you stack the pictures. I have a bunch of pictures you sent me once (Ches and I were going to do a slideshow at our wedding reception, then changed our minds) but they have pen marks all over them from being stacked together. I don't think there is a way to fix that, unfortunately. Not that I've found, anyway.

Allrie said...

Yeah, I learned the hard way about using a pen on the backs of pictures. I even went so far as to talk to a photograph restorer. If I remember correctly, it can be improved upon, at great cost, but not totally fixed. I'll never do that again! And yes, I've been using the special pencil. Thanks!

Sariah said...

yay! I'm glad you're using the pencil. I hope you've been able to use all of the scrapping stuff I sent you. It's good stuff!

Allrie said...

Oh yeah...I've used the letter sticker almost to death--will have to get more, they're really good. And I absolutely
LOVE my picture cutter! I forget what else there was right now.