Monday, February 12, 2007

Waiting For the Shoe To Drop

You know that feeling of just waiting...waiting for the other shoe to drop? Well, after last weeks 2 "cold days", 1 "snow day" and 2 2-hr delay days due to the cold [with the neighboring district taking out the whole week [their wacky over-crowded hs schedule does not allow for 2 hr delays.] And with a horrible or at least horribly messy storm due to come in tonight, everyone is holding their collective breath--cancel? 2 hr delay? but then what...it is supposed to get worse as the day goes on. In VA we had early dismissal days when it snowed a lot during the day, so who knows what to expect?

The phone rang about 10:30. The call was for Allied Weather. It was a young middle schooler asking for what the forecast was for Canal Winchester at 5:00am! I explained that forecasting was our business, and that a forecast cost money, but since we were in the same town, I said he'd just have to do what we will do. Get up in the morning and check the school closings, but there is a really good chance of a closing for tomorrow. He thanked me very nicely. It was so cute! My first "official" call! And I didn't even need to wake Dad! So now am I a forecaster, too? :)

I also have to mention that it has warmed up--at 25degrees it felt positively balmy out yesterday! Enough so that I got out on my bike. 1/2 a mile was enough. I was perfectly comfortable--except my face and head. Oh, I wore a ski mask, but that's only one layer. The rest of me had at least three--not even counting fat! The house is cooling down rapidly now [we turn the heat way down when we go upstairs, so it's been off awhile now.] Time to turn in--after I check once more for closings!

No comments: