Monday, June 26, 2006

Disability

I feel so guilty at times that I am on disability. I generally feel pretty good, have lots of energy, and bicycle mt way around town--up to 9 miles on any given day, thus far. I've a friend who is trying to get disability, but not using an attorney, she has been turned down twice and her latest appeal is stuck in red tape. She can barely walk. She has a myriad of other problems. Compared to her, I am the picture of health.

I've even wondered about going back to work...at least subbing.

Then I have a day like yesterday...We, the production staff for the Nativity Pageant our ward is sponsering, went to three wards to give our presentation in Relief Society, Prieshood and Young Woemen. When you include the choir perf on our own ward, I gave 9 performances yesterday. Today I went with Erica to the local Comm College where she is going to [hopefully[ take a summer course]. Upon returning home, I put my nightgown back on, took the icepack and went to bed. I've been up now for about 3 hours, and am heading straight back to bed.

Maybe going back to work isn't such a good idea after all. Hmmm.

6 comments:

Proud Mum said...

I think you're right. You sound like you're in a good spot, you understand your limitations, but do everything you can to keep as busy and productive as possible. I could do to learn some of that. I hope your friend is able to get what she needs.

fourth_fret said...

degrees of disability aren't fairly comparable, so don't beat yourself up that you got in, while someone else is having a more difficult time. it seems like a crapshoot how all of that works, with or without attourneys. i hope your friend will hang in there and continue to pursue it. i've heard generally people are rejected 3 times before it finally all goes through. (with exceptions to the rule, of course.)

rest easy. i hope you rebound quickly.

Allrie said...

Thank you both for your kind words. It definitely made me feel better--I was really feeling like a fraud when my friend ended up in the hopsital [again] today. This time they plan to keep her until they figure out why her feet and legs are swelling so much--and then get infected.

But I am trying to pace myself--today was a FHC [Family History Center]Day [I'm on staff, and am currently reorganizing or at least organizing the book collection and cataloging them. It is taking awhile--but materials are now findable.]

FF, I've heard that about 3x rejection also. I think the purpose is to weed out those who are not serious. But it puts a terrible drain on some.

Sariah said...

Mom, I know you probably don't want to hear this, but you ARE disabled. From the woman who raised me to the woman you are now... it's a night and day difference. FF is right about the degrees of disability. You push yourself too hard sometimes, and that is what worries your children. We don't like it when you have to stay in bed for long periods of time because you over-did yourself.

That said, I still think you are AMAZING with all the bike riding you do and all the activities you are involved in and everything. I hope to be able to do half the stuff you do when I am older. )Not that I'm saying you're old! I don't think of you as old. Not possible. And I don't make the dinosaur jokes. That would be your younger children!!) Although it still makes me giggle to think of you riding a bike and carrying your cane at the same time! :)

Lura said...

I just have to ditto Sariah. I can't even think of anything to add.

Allrie said...

I'll have you know that I attach my cane to my bike with velcro--it works really well, and after riding, I REALLY need my cane! Thanks for the compliments. It is nice to feel stroked :)