Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Family History

I love family history/genealogy. I am blessed to be descended from a prolific family with many available records. John Herenden brought his family to Boston in the early 1600's, then drowned in Boston Harbor. His second son escaped to Rhode Island with Roger Williams for religious reasons, and met a Quaker family en route. He married the daughter--it is quite a romantic tale. The name morphed many times, but eventually settled on Harrington. It is a very common name, but all are related through 1] John who came to Boston, 2] his brother who went to VA, or 3] a cousin/possibly brother who went to Ireland. Following just the New England Harringtons is a course in history. They were deeply involved in King Philip's War, Queen Anne's War, the French and Indian War, the Revolution, the War of 1812 or Second War for Independence, and the Civil War and on down through the modern wars. They are judges and doctors as well as farmer and shopkeepers. They are always represented on the frontiers--wherever they push west. It has become a real joy to add to my "Collection of Harringtons" which I hope to publish one day through the Genealogical Press.

It gives me a sense of connection to history. It gives me the sense of being part of history in the making. I will add our generations to the anals of this family, for I often go far afield adding the collateral lines down a new name a few generations, up a line married into [such as the Browns in early RI--think Brown University].

Newell K Whitney's mother was a Harrington. Truman O Angell who was the architect of the Salt Lake Temple was a third generation down Harrington, and a fourth, and probably more as the Angells and Harringtons intermarried for generations.

History =his story [and hers, too] = my story :D

Challenge: Write down a favorite family story[preferably one from previous generations. Maybe "scrapbook" it. If we all did this once a week, or once a month, think how our books would grow!

Invitation: hare a family story here. Length doesn't matter, nor does time period, but lets try to collect some interesting stories from our families' past--it is our collective past as a nation.

2 comments:

Sariah said...

Thanks for the challenge and the invitation. I'll have to think about what story to share. Do you mean our immediate family? Or a family history story? Because if that is the case, then I think you have that covered. ;) I guess I could share something from my father's side. Like, ummm, I don't know, there's that one... okay, so I don't actually know anything. But I'll find *something* out to share!!

Allrie said...

Any story you'd like to share because it is one you like :D