Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Weekly Anamnesis # 27

I'm into escapism right at the moment. That's what my childhood stamp collection meant to mer. I had a really great start, 'cause my Dad handed his onto me. I had all the US stamps I had lots of Italian, German Japanese and Korean stamps. From there I was able to expand, with various Asian countries--curtusy of an uncl'es trip, and the exotic stamps allowed me to travel as well. Then my father went to the Carribean and Mexico on business, and my mind followed right along. Stamps show people and places that must be researched. My exchange student sister from Argentina sent a wonderful letter--and stamps before she ever arrived.

My stamp collecting evolved into picture postcard collecting, and still I feel I've been able to travel--even if just for a minute--whenever I receive a new picture postcard to add to my collection.

I've never been outside of North America, but in my mind I've been to most parts of the world curtesy of those who have done the actual physical traveling. Thank you to parents, relatives and friends who have shared with me their experiences, making me the true aremchair traveler.

And it all started with pretty scraps of paper used to raise funds for various countries. Stamps.

1 comment:

Allrie said...

I just wish (I still had my stamp collection--I gave it to Vinnie when we lived in NH. We used the attic as a playroom, and several items were left behind: stamp collection; coin collection; my wedding pictures. Sigh. Such is life.