Friday, August 10, 2007

B is For Bumps and Bruises

B is for bumps and bruises. Of which I have waaay too many. My sister used to say that you became an official "kid" once you had band-aides on your knees, and that conversely, you weren't a kid anymore when you didn't have bandaides. If this were the real way to tell, I'd never grow up!

I fall easily, which is why I use a cane outside or for long stretches of walking inside--like at church. I am careful, wearing only flat shoes now. I use a wrist brace on my right [good] hand because I need the extra strengthening from leaning on the cane. I often wear an ankle brace on my right [good] side for similar reasons.

Doesn't matter. Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed--like today. I thought I'd get a jump on the day and went quietly into Erica's room to grab the laundry basket, and bashed my hip on the doorknob leaving her room. Ow! S'OK, I went to my closet to collect hangers and whacked my elbow on my dresser. OUCH! Went downstairs [Oof! that was my ankle against the corner wall, which sent me off balance so Ow! that was me bouncing off the opposite wall.] Ah, the landing--time to regain my poise. I manuvered the last part of the starcase with grace. My mother would be proud. Dang! Someone left dishes in the living room. So I smoothly walked acrtoss the room, picked them up and turned and WHACK! fell over the boxes of new shelves for organizing the food storage. I knew I should have put them together yesterday. Now I have one broken bowl, a badly scraped up right leg and a painfully twisted back. So I cleaned everything up--ending with me. Neosporin is the best stuff!

Unfortunately, that was all in the first hour of a day that did not change. I have so many bumps and bruises at so many varying stages...I am white and black and red and yellow and purple and it just goes on! We do not have enough ice-packs for all the spots needed.

And it is catching! Poor Erica just whacked her nose as she took a lid out of the pan cupboard! I sure hope it is not a genetic trait--watch out kids! I'm finished for this day! Let's see if I can make it to my bed without any new bumps or bruises. [I wouldn't bet on it!]

5 comments:

terrierchica said...

hey now, I have a sweet bit of swelling and bruising on the bridge of my nose...

and I am hurt. you said you had commented on my blog and you totally didn't. hmph.

Lura said...

I have a bandaid on my knee as we speak (or as I type. whatever). I, too, am constantly covered in bruises. So is Jago. The poor boy has bruises all over his legs, a scraped up knee, a small bump on his head. At least he doesn't have his black eye anymore. Not that any of those things slow him down. Oh, no. His latest is continutally climbing over the back of the couch or climbing into the crib to play with Gareth.

Allrie said...

Sorry guys, perhaps it's genetic!

And I did too comment on your blog, Erica!

Sariah said...

TOTALLY genetic. I'm a known klutz, and it looks like Dallin has also received this "special" gene. He can trip on a perfectly level, bare floor where he isn't even wearing socks and shoes. Poor kid looks like a giant bruise most of the time.

Allrie said...

Yep--he gets it from me.

To ice the cake--after I finished this blog, I went directly to the bathroom then bed--but not wothout bashing my foot on the foot of the bed. : (