Wednesday, August 22, 2007

G is for Grandma's Garden


{I'm up to G...but I don't think anybody read my C, and I thought it a more interesting one.}


G is for Grandma's Garden. I actually have one! It has been many years since that was the case, and this one is tiny. Just 4' square. Brother Schultz brought small tomato seedings to church for everyone [an anual event.] So I took 4. Unfortunately, they stayed in the car for 24 hours...but after a good watering, they perked right up! So it was off to Home Depot. I purchased two pieces of masonite for the bottom as my "garden" as it was going in the backyard, and I didn't want to have to deal wih breaking sod, or weeds and grass coming through. Next I got boards 1" x 2' x 4'. Put together, they made a nice box frame. Then we [Richard & I] poured in the dirt and planting soil. I got this zig-zag wire fence-like piece and put it in across the box. Then I planted my tomatoes zig-zag on either side of the "fence" that was advertised to use for tomatoes. Don't. A strong wind knocks them over. I now have the traditional cones, but putting them in after so much growth is really hard!

Chloe was supposed to come for her final visit on a Sun. A week earlier than originally planned, she [and parents!] came. She and I went out to Grandma's Garden, carefully counting all the Green tomatoes. Not a single one was red yet. Two hours later, my tomato-loving grandaughter wanted to check and see if they were red yet. Nope. But the following week [when they were to have originally come!] they were. So I had to take a picture for Chloe.







I also have green bell peppers, zucchinni, and basil, all harvested here. I've yellow summer squash, but none ready to pick yet, and at least one pumpkin growing nicely for Halloween.

The garden has over run its borders--with the squases sending their vines out everywhere!


As I harvest, I cut everything up and put it into snack-sized ziplocks. Then as I cook, I have everything handy. Of course, I go out and get fresh basil--and will 'til the end of the year when I will pick and dry the rest.

An overabundance at any one time? Canning! I've one jar of tomatoes to put up, and when my husband return from the store with a couple pears and some apple juice, I can do my pear butter and apple-cinnaman jelly at the same time!







Oops--I just deleted my third picture. Oh well, I got two on. Illustrated blogs are hard! Kinda like coaxing plants to produce food in Grandma's Garden!























4 comments:

terrierchica said...

hey look, you got pictures on your blog and computer without me there! good job!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post - and I did read your car post along with the others and it was very fun - I just did a conglomerate comment. :) Our garden never really happened this year - but hopefully we will redeam ourselves for next year. :)

Lura said...

I've read all your posts I just haven't commented on all of them.

I'm glad you finally get to have a garden again! We have one which Jago LOVES, though I don't actually do any work in it, Marlene does. It's really her garden. Someday, when we're in our own place (so next year??) I'll have to have my own garden. Partly because I'd like to have one, but mainly because Jago loves them so much.

Allrie said...

Thank you all for commenting!
I'm so insecure, I have to have a response!

Jago will find my garden a nothing after Marlene's, I'm afraid--but I have sunflowers in the front! More pics will come...eventually!