Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Children Say the Darndest Things

I had a most illuminating conversation with my oldest grandson this evening. We talked about how school was going. I asked what he was learning at school.

"Nothing, Grandma. I'm at home right now."

Well, duh! How could I be so foolish? The conversation continued, some of which I could not follow, but the gist of it was about how sad he was that his friend had had to go home. They pretended really good. Aiden was a grouchy troll. etc.

I said I liked to pretend, too.

"What do you pretend, Grandma?"[With his tone of voice rather disbelieving.]

"I am in a play at church about a Bible story [The Ten Virgins] and I pretend that I'm a really really OLD woman."

"But you are old, Grandma. [The intimation was that I was not pretending.] Ouch.

7 comments:

Sariah said...

Aiden was a grumpy, old troll who only likes bridges and cliffs.

I heard his part of the conversation (the "You're an old lady, Grandma") and I could hear you respond with "I'm not old!" I don't know what else you said, but I loved Aiden's next comment: "But you have wrinkles on your face." Very logical to him! Again, I don't know what you said, but I heard a very disbelieving Aiden agree that you aren't that old.

Just remember that to him, anyone over the age of 8 is old. :)

Oh, and he was very sad later that night. When asked what was wrong, he said, "I really miss Grandma. I miss your parents, Dad. I miss you parents, Mom. I really want Grandma to come visit."

terrierchica said...

hahahahahaha.........

Allrie said...

I actually loved Aiden's reply to me--and it did make perfect sense. I miss Aiden, and all of you, too!

Erica, you can stop laughing now. Please?

Zen Mama said...

so funny.

That reminds me of when I was younger. My brothers and I would said, "Dad, you're getting old. You're going gray."

"No I'm not," he'd say defensively, "it's adult blonde!"

Anonymous said...

lol! That is great. :) I also loved your H post. :)

terrierchica said...

hahahahahahahahahaaaa...

yep, still laughing.

hahahahahahahaha

Allrie said...

Erica--you are so mean--I remember when you were in first grade and the Bishop of Little Rock [Catholic] came to visit our school. During the Sermon he challenged the kids to guess his age, after saying he was really old. [He was in his 60's.] Our class agreed upon 100!

Thanks, Julia.