Thursday, April 27, 2006

chairs

I have a rocking chair. It is not technically mine, nor has it been for the past 3 1/2 years. It is Sariah's--ever since Aiden was born. So why do I have it? Two reasons: A] dificulty in transport, and B] she hasn't the room for it. I am so sad about it as I am afraid she will lose her good rocking chair years without it. You see, it is a special chair. I rocked Sariah--and all her younger siblings in that chair.

My mother rocked me [oldest daughter] and all my siblings in that chair. She and her brother were also rocked in that chair.

In fact, her mother, Alma, [the oldest girl] was rocked in that chair as were all her siblings, a total of five children. So far, that is four generations without Sariah's kids! Now, I just found a glitz in my family history program (guess what I'll be working on in the next week) and don't have the generatuions spelled out, but if my memory serves me correctly [always a big if, but this is going back in time, so chances are good] Alma's mother was Margaret Pinion, whose father was Nicholas Pinion, wife Katherine{?or some form of that name] Bierman [who also had five or six kids] and it was her parents who brought the chair over from Germany. [They had at least two or three children who came over and could have left more in Germany for all I know--this chair has been USED!] It was originally a cane chair, not even a rocker, but that Grandpa Bierman was a wood carver, and he added the rockers and a carved piece ubder the seat and atop the back. His wife did the needle point seat cushion and back (changing out the cane). This bring us to a total of 6 generations in the rocker, and who knows how many more before it was a rocker.

When the chair came to me, I knew I would have to do repairs, so thirty years ago I learned to needlepoint. I still need to make a new seat. Now it also needs a new back. Plan A was to copy what the original pattern was. But it is no longer visible for much of the seat.

Once, when we moved when I was a young child, the carved back piece broke off. My Dad [not a sentimental bone in his body] threw it away! My Mom cried whenever she thought about it.

So, what do I do?? Follow Plan A??? OR

At a local antique store there is a chair with similar carvings on it and similar needlepoint. It is probably a 1930's or 40's reproduction--but that serves to keep the price down. I really want that chair. I have the perfect place for it in my dining room. I have been visiting the chair regularly now for about six months. Peggy, the store owner, says she thinks the chair is waiting for me, because a piece like that usually disapears quickly, but no one seems to even 'see' it but me. Hubby said that I could get it after we receive our tax returns...so...

Plan B] I could use the pattern of this chair to do the seat and back for the rocking chair . I really need some opinions quickly--especially from Sariah as she is going to need the chair for
# 3 fairly soon, and I really want her to have the chair, which is by rights hers. But if I am going to continue to keep it, then it'd kinda be nice to match it...

Help me to make up my mind...please!!!

9 comments:

Lura said...

I say, match it. Because then at least you have something to go off of, and you don't have to rely entire on your imagination.

Did you know that rocking chairs are an American thing? Seriously, I got to learn all about it in my Period Dress & Decor class. They started in America.

Just in case you were interested.

April_Mommy said...

I also say match it... I have a rocking chair that is not nearly as old as yours... My mother bought it with her first child, my grandmother did the needlepoint for the seat :-) It may not be the most comfortable chair in the world, but knowing that all of my mom's babies were rocked in it, makes me want to rock all of mine too. I still do.

Allrie said...

Oopss--correction--the Bierman line is wrong. It was Katherine Heinz--no relation known to the catsup--, but the rest is correct as far as I know. I woke up this morning remembering tis.

Thank youLura and April for the input. I am now leaning rather strongly that way.

And thank you, Lura for the rocking chair info--I had no idea! I guess that explains why it wasn't a rocker until coming to America! Do you know WHEN they started? I wonder if that might help with the history of the chair?

Lura said...

I can't remember off the top of my head when they were started. I'll have to find my notes from class, and I'll get back to you.

Proud Mum said...

I can't help you with the decision, I just can't get past the history of the chair -- what an heirloom! My "baby" chair is a Poang from Ikea; we have fond memories putting it together, but Little Red is definitely the first generation.

I'm just so in awe of the history of that chair. I would love to touch the wood and see the indentations of time. Wow,

Allrie said...

But...but...PM and Angel--I need your votes too! I am really going to have to start on this soon!

Sariah said...

Mom, you don't have to stress about the chair yet. I would LOVE to have it, you know that, but where in the world are we going to put it?? You've seen this apartment (not since we moved in, however), and it is smaller than the last one. We are adding another little person and rearranging everything just to fit in here. I can't risk having the chair here right now. Aiden and Dallin would end up climbing all over it and breaking it or something.

No worries... we plan on having ONE more child after this one, and by then we should be in a house (hopefully our own). THEN we can worry about me getting the rocking chair.

One more question... what if I only have boys??? Does the chair go to Chloe then? Or to Aiden's wife?

Sariah said...

Oh, and my vote is with Lura and April. Match it. I guess. I don't know!!

Allrie said...

Well, I don't have the new chair yet...but I guess I will match it once I get it. Don't stress, Sariah, I know you aren't in the position to have the chair yet[ tho. I do hope you get to rock at least ONE of your babies in it...]

As for what if you just have boys...well, I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. My Grandma [Alma] was the oldest daughter, but the fifth child, so...