Friday, April 28, 2006

The Traffic Light

As most know, I am not allowed to drive due to my epilepsy. When E graduated high school early and went off to college--there went my chauffeur! Then we moved. When we bought our house, we paid close attention to the area--in fact we drew a circle with a 2 mi. diameter from the town center and determined to find a house within that circle so that I could walk or possibly eventually bike into town and have some independence. We are 2 mi. from the center of town. And I have walked it many times. Then I bought my bike, and right from the start I did better on my bike than walking. I traveled thus on my own all winter. A month ago it hit the papers--our traffic light crossing the state highway between us and the town center is going to be turned off in Sept. For most, this will be a major inconvenience. For me, it means I will lose my independence. Now R is driving, but he will be in school, so I will have to get rides everywhere.

So...I am now in charge of the petition to keep the light on until they[ODOT] at least decides what they are going to do there--there's talk of an overpass, or maybe right hand turn lanes so that people can get onto the Hwy [from our major road] or off [going into the business district of town], or who knows what other ideas they have? I have also volunteered to be the proofreader for our town's website. In any case, I was invited to this evening's anual gala to honor volunteers and hand out various awards. I thought I'd know only the one person who invited me, and meet the other who'd invited me over the phone, but I knew a bunch of people! It was fun.

So, I am now:
1] spear-heading our last ditch efforts to keep our traffic light [and no jokes about fighting 'city hall'. We are on the same side!];
2] proof-reading our town's website; [I am a much better proof reader than typist!]
3] knitting baby hats for a church project;
4] doing two days/mo at the local Family History Center;
5] working on the Ward's major production Nativity Pageant;
6] and I really need to start on the chair!

I guess I have enough to keep me out of trouble, yes? But, see what I have to loose with the light? access to eveything but the website!!![Anybody want to sign a petition?] oh, and the chair--so at least that would get done. Sigh:(

3 comments:

Lura said...

So, how's the petition going? When will you learn more of what's planned?


How's R doing with the driving?

Allrie said...

It's making the rounds.

They have to plan it before they can share any plans...unfortunately that is not in the forseeable future.

R is driving well. Today we ventured out onto Hwy 33--in rush hour! Only for a mile--and he did great, so the next time will be ever so much easier.

Allrie said...

OK,OK, smart aleck! It is more a case of checking to make sure that all the links are working, etc. And even if I can't spell...and we know I can't...I can tell when somebody else's writing is mispelled. No one says I have to CORRECT it! That would be another story altogether! :D