Saturday, April 22, 2006

Random Saturday??

Well, somehow I missed Random Friday, so here is a late stab at it (tho. technically it is actually Sumday, so this will hopefully be short).

I have been keeping a low profile since returning home from Boston. I had a double fall on the way to the T for the last time. The major injuries are pretty much cleared up now, but I still have a lovely bruise on one knee--from the second fall (when I was trying to prove I could get up--I lost.) and and still scabbed on the other. A little pain remains in my chest, but my ribs aren't really sore at all anymore. So. you see, E., I am/was OK--just takes a little time!

I have not been bike riding yet as I didn't really trust my balance, but I did walk a couple miles the other day. I got a ride to my Thurs class, then had my ride drop me at the post office after--I needed to go there, and it is just unde two miles home--I needed the exercise. A couple days before that I walked all around our growing neighborhood. Had to scope it out for driving lesson purposes. Previously I did go to choir practice, but missed Enrichement--I just plain forgot about it! So I'm 0 for 2 this year--but I go to all the mini classes--well, most... I go to the Book of Mormon classes twice a month--it's a great study group. I went to the cass to learn how to knit on the round looms. We are making hats for the humanitarian kits--premie and newborn sizes.
I go to the monthly cultures/craft class. Of course I missed Ireland while in Boston--but have the paper with directions for it. We did Mexico this month, and I already knew how to do the confetti eggs and tin punch lanterns, but learned how to and made two tin cut out ornaments. (We make a few small crafts each time as we learn about the country's holiday customs, and at the end of the year, will be able to decorate a Christmas tree with our international crafts. It's really pretty cool.) I would like to do the travel Ohio thing--but it is on Saturdays, and that is the day set aside for hockey. So I'm hoping that with a couple drivers home this summer, we can do some exploring on our own.

Speaking of driving. ..R is doing quite well. He wishes he didn't have to tho! Day One Conversation...We were around the block from our house, and R says to me," Why do I have to learn to drive now? Can't I wait until I'm, oh, forty five?"

I reminded him that he would want to drive on that date with M when he turns 16..."Oh, right." And the lesson continued.

I got s special present for R in Boston, and it is in ...Boston! I left my bag of presents in E's room, so she is going to have to send the shirts on before they are outgrown. The other present is for Dad for his birthday, which isn't for awhile yet, so E can just bring it.

I am excited for the coming week--Stake Conf in the am--and I'm in the choir--we're singing two numbers. Then we are all holding our breath hoping the long awaited ward line redrawing will be announced. We'll see... Tues. I get to have a shift in the FHC. Genealogy--I am doing it! On Thurs. I am going to Visit Teach R who is just 18 and this will be her first time to be Visit Taught. We already get along quite well. She gets out of school early that day, so we're going to meet at our local "Luke's" for desert and VT. Thurs eve something is going on--I forget what...and Sat VT/HT with K a less active but thouroughly delightful lady. Then onto hockey...which brings me full circle to today's events:)

Hopefully I can get out on my bike this week--I've things to do, places to go, people to see. OK, so I want to go to the hardware store! That counts!

So should we put up a welcome home sign for Jesse? He is not coming here, but we've had our yellow ribbon up, and doesn't the neighborhood deserve to know that he is home? I'm thinking, yes. So, the sign will go up. pics will be taken, and if I can manage to do so, I'll post some pics. I know...don't hold your breathe.

Well, R is bummed because the Oilers lost their first playoff game, but the rest of the family can rejoice as both the Flames (Yay, Calgary!) and the Devils (Yay, Brodeur!--cousin of our cousin!) won their games. Not so amazingly, I can tell all the specifics of the Oilers game...and tomorrow's will be televised here--so don't expect to talk to anyone but Dad if you call after 2:oo (I'm promised to watch with R.)

I completed the most fascinating book this week. It actually came from my physicist bro-in-law,P. It is all about measuring and the development of measuring along with the development of Western Society--and math. Not being a math person (horrors!) I did not expect to read the whole book, but it was great! Now we all know that music is tied to math--but I had no idea how much til reading this book--a whole section devoted to the development of written music. Having been taught to read Gregorian chant in my youth, it was especially intreaguing. Then the chapter on art...and we'd just spent a day in the art museum in Boston--and my favorites are the medeival and early Rennaissance... so I was well prepped. Next I pulled from my shelf a novel that Has been on my "get around to it" list for awhile, entitled The Birth of Venus. It takes place in Rennaissance Florence and deals largely (thus far) with art. I love when things come together...

One example of what I learned that surprised me. During the Middle Ages, the day was divided into 12 hours. So was the night. Year round. This required elastic hours...think about it--the hours of the summer were longer than the daytime hours of the winter! A most interesting way of doing things, but it did make a sort of sense.

Wow, when that makes sense, maybe it is time to take advantage of those nighttime hours and go to bed--have to ne at the stake center at 9:00 am...Good night!

7 comments:

Lexi said...

wow thats a LONG post. that math book sounded interesting and thats cool that you got to visit erica. i cant wait till she comes down here in may.

bradley duncan is graduating this year, and hes goin to BYU this fall.

fourth_fret said...

i say definitely put the sign up for jesse.

Allrie said...

FF-you've tipped the scale: the sign WILL be done. Thanks. :D

Lexi, May, huh...I think we need some more communication on this one...

terrierchica said...

yeah...soo....uhhh...lex I'm thinking june..

oh, hi mom!

:D

Allrie said...

Hi, TC. Yes, June has a better sound to it, but we'l see...

Allrie said...

Yeah, thanks, but that's me--clutz of the century--I should post mu clutz story sometimr, hmmm.

Lura said...

You may be clutz of the century, but did you have to pass it on to your daughter? I'm continutally running into things (like big walls you can't miss) and tripping over air. Literally.

It's all that darn ground turbulence I tell you.