Monday, April 24, 2006

Random Thoughts (Yet, Again)

I am a scatter brain. That is all there is to it, so I will stick to randomness for awhile.

Spring has sprung, and garage sale season has begun. Our next-door neighbor had such a sale this past weekend. I went over to warn against parking opposite our driveway with Richard just learning to drive, and noticed the sports bobble heads.

R. has wanted a hockey bobble-head for years. They had just one: Steve Yzerman, Captain of the Detroit Red Wings, and R's Oilers are currently battling the Wings in the current playoff series. In fact, the main event yesterday at our house was seemingly "The Game" as it was televised here. (Stake Conference really was more important, but...) So, I let R go ahead and get the bobble-head. He threatened it's life--it's head--throughout the game. Good thing the Oilers won!

Our ward Relief Society is knitting hats for the church's humanitarian needs. It is really quite simple. They are done on round looms, so even a one-handed person such as myself can do it. I've been making about one per day, but did two yesterday: one during the game, then another as we watched The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.

I thought the film was beautifully done. I also thought it quite true to the book, though it is admitidly a very long time since I read the books. It is well worth watching, and if we owned it, it would reside on our church films shelf, because it belongs there...sorta. R recognized it right away.

I am recovering from my fall in Boston--went out on my bike today and did quite well, until I stopped to talk to my neighbor, at which point I fell--onto the grass, so it was an easy landing for a change. Sigh.

I now have the Official word. Elder Jenson, our visiting authority for Conf made a side comment when complimenting the flute solo of one of the men for leadership meeting, that he, himself, played cornet, and that hearing him was probably the reason brass instruments were banned from Sacrament Meetings. So afterwards, I asked him about it, and he said that yes, brass instruments were not to be part of Sacrament Meeting, but they could otherwise be played in the chapel.

As we look forward to J's return home, I learned today of a local C-W boy just arrived in Iraq.
So our community is pulling together to try to fully support him. He is in an area rather different from J's. He does not apparantly have access to a BX as did J, so he will need more actual, physical stuff supporting him in his unit. This is a new objective of mine.

Now, my turn on the computer is really over, so I end :)

And, L, I remembered to do the comments allowed thing:D

2 comments:

April_Mommy said...

In our last ward, a girl kept playing her saxophone in sacrament meeting. I had heard the brass instrument rule before, so it always just kinda put me on edge and made me feel uncomfortable to hear it... wierd.

Allrie said...

I know Ches played something rather spectacular on the trumpet along with the organ one time...I always thought it was pretty much up to the Bishop, but no, and Elder Jenson very carefully phrased it "in Sacrament Meeting" so I'm not sure in retropect that prelude music was OK. or Stake conf...it sounded like it--just not the official Sacrament Meeting.