Friday, April 14, 2006

A few Random Friday thoughts:

Today is Good Friday in the liturgical year, the day we commemorate Christ's agony, passion, and death. This is not the day most LDs are concerned with, focusing rather on te Risen Christ, but I grew up differently, and can't help thinking, were it not for His voluntarily giving up His life, we would not be celebrating the Ressurrection.

***********

I love visiting my kids at school. Each one has been a very different experience. I was most interested in the Dante lecture I attended with Erica on Tues. Ashamefacedly, I admit to dozing off during the end. Slide shows + dimmed lighting + a very short night's sleep + my 'advanced'
age + not taking notes . . . just goes to prove that te rigors of college life are for the young. Tho admitedly, I probably couldn't have done it when I was young either.

************

Losing weight is really quite simple. I watch my sugars, my portions and my specific foods. Normally, it is not a big deal. Don't go to Boston and think that because you are doing lots of walking you will lose weight. There'sthe North End (Italian section) with its attendant restaurants...and pastries...yum! Then there's the Fanuil Hall area, the Quincy Market, which is like a giant food court--only with really really good food--and that is what passes for 'fast food' Boston style. Then I discovered the cranberry chocolate bars. And it was all over. I need to put myself on oatmeal for a week--but it is Easter! = candy and hard-boiled eggs=deviled eggs + eggs salad. Sigh.

**************

Last night was our quarterly RS social. I forgot about it as I was gone last Sun. This was the second one of the year. It was also the second one I missed. Sigh.

**************

R was so excited that his spring break began today, and he didn't have to get up for seminary. He woke up at 5:00 anyway. Eventually, he wnt back to sleep, only to be awakened by a "parade' of fire engins, sirens blaring as they sped past. We saw no smoke, and they returned only a few minutes later--quietly. My guess: an oven fire was called in and it was the same time as a drill, so the run was used for the drill. Very efficient, unless you happen to be the one with theoven fire. Then it is just plain embarrassing...had that happen when we lived at Chanute AFB. Took a L O N G time to live that one down. But so much better than a real fire!

*************

Fri is finished, so I will, too.

6 comments:

Lura said...

I hear Boston was great! Too bad about the gaining weight while there, but I'm sure you'll be able to get it all off again once Easter is over.

Poor R and having to wake up so early.

FeatherSky said...

One of my friends had a very small chimney fire (mostly just too much smoke!). They had it under control and thought that it was out, but called the fire department to come check it out-- just in case. The fire department came out with 4 or 5 engines, with several police cars too, sirens all blazing like their whole house was on fire!!!! She said she was pretty mortified! Every person on the street came running down to find out what had happened!!

Sariah said...

I remember the "fire" we had at Chanute. Man, it was sooooo fun for us kids to see all the fire trucks and talk to the firemen. They were super nice and showed us lots of stuff. I vaguely remember ALL the neighborhood kids there, and it was almost like a carnival or something. Hee hee.

terrierchica said...

It's typical to have multiple engines and ladders come, that's just the way it works. They might not have even been called in...if the family has a home security system and the fire alarm goes off, then the engines have to come. Cops come too. And drills are really quite rare, especially when you're in a city (I'm not sure if you're covered by the columbus or franklin counry fire, possible both, they're more flexible than cops) simply because there's enough calls they don't have to worry about drills.

And dude, there's so many more food areas you didn't mention! The latin american food in the South End, Irish in Southie (south boston and the south end are entirely different), the weird yet interesting places around Harvard Square, upscale restranaunts around Copley...I could go on. You come to Boston to eat, dude. That's just the way it goes.

fourth_fret said...

glad you had a good time on the trip!

Allrie said...

TC, The "fire" at Chanute WAS a drill--they told me so. They had lots of drills because that was the Air Force fire training school in those days.

FS, I COMPLETELY know how your friend felt--me, too. And yes, Sariah. it was like a carnival...for you kids, but for me, it was pure humiliation.

TC When my brother and two friends started a fire when we lived in S. CA. in the back hills (wild fire danger area) as kids, they also answered with everything they had--but for good reason, if it had gotten out of control, it would have been very very bad. Fortunately, we wre able to (barely) keep it contained until they arrived.

I have a very healthy respect for (and fear of) fire.

Thanks, FF, and I know TC is right--we barely scratched the surface of Boston eating--even in the areas we hit! Guess I'll have to go back again someday...yes, TC, that's a threat! :)