Thursday, May 25, 2006

Namecalling

It is an art. Giving a baby a name...attaching a nickname to somebody...but name calling when we do NOT like someone--well it is harder. To do it right is an art. I definitely do NOT recommend foul language, but sometimes, well...we just have to sputter something out!

My Mom was of the school, "If you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all." And she was very strict about it. Yet, my feelings [too tender] would be hurt, and I just wanted to lash out at the person who hurt me. All too often this was my younger sister. In retrospect, she was not usually the cause of my frustration, but it sure seemed like it at the time. I couldn't not talk to her [OK, I couldn't not talk!] So how was I to let her know how mad I was...and get a little of my own back? It never occured to me to try to hit her as I'd end up in far more trouble than I wanted. I tried various things...nothing worked. It would have to really upset her, but not really be anything bad so that I would stay out of trouble. Hmmm.

I started high school, and began German. Shortly thereafter I learned the word, "Plattenspieler." [record player] It was not part of our home vocabulary, so I tried it out. My sister got me mad [she did so quite easily and frequently] so I spouted something out, ending with calling her a Plattenspieler. Mom, who understood the word, let it go, after all, it really was quite silly! My sister, however reacted just as hoped...she came unglued! A sailors term couldn't have been worse by her reaction.

For the next two years, whenever I was really mad at her, my sister would hear, "You Plattenspieler!" from me. Every single time, it had its hoped for effect. As an added bonus, she would usually get madder and say something for which she might get into trouble. I had a great scam going.

Then she started high school and took--yep, German. About two weeks into the school year, she came home, and laughing at me, called me a Plattenspieler. The scam had ended. And somehow, although she could still make me really mad [in fact to this day, no one else knows how to push my buttons as does my sister] I've never again tried to get her goat by calling her a name. Nor anyone else. And oddly enough, despite our many differences, I think my sister is one of my very best friends today. Even though she is a Plattenspieler!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry I never got around to posting that link on your comments for you, here you go. Utah Baby Namer

Me, I'm a traditional names sort of gal. Most of these newfangled creations drive with their wacky spellings me batty. They're fine on other kids, just not mine. :) In fact if we have more kids, for a girl we would use Heidi Jane and for a boy we would use Christopher Michael (most likely, the thought of using a french family name, Lammeroux, has entered into the discussion as a middle name). And no, this is not any kind of announcement. :)

Plattenspieler, hee hee, that just makes me laugh.

fourth_fret said...

i'm not good at word fighting, so i have no skills in the "call somebody somethin' to make 'em mad" department. it sad, really. :(

Allrie said...

Sigh;;;my replies lost, again!

Angel, I've also responded to your responses since you said you went back a bit. I need to do that on your blog as well.

goofyj, Thanks for the link. Some of the names on there are awful! Others I quite like [hope that doesn't make ME awful--but I'm related to some of them!

I give my stamp of approval to the "futurenames" you've chosen.[as if you need it! :) ]

Heide is obviously a girl even without the "ah" ending--leaway given for its Germanic roots. Jane is a good early reading name, long a, silent e.... Chris has a nice short vowel, and the ch = K is a good lesson here. Mike, see Jane above.

FF, If I recall, you are not an only child, how did you communicate with your sibling[s]? Surely you weren't all nice ALL the time? In my house we even had names used when nice [such as Allrie or my brother: Tony Balony.]

My word verification works for us [Tony and me] too: tdzydagz [2 dizzy dagos]:D

fourth_fret said...

well, we're five years apart without any other siblings to buffer the difference.

and i'm not saying i didn't TRY namecalling. just that... i'm no good at it.

plus, i am unusually passive. i know my blog persona doesn't always seem that way, but when there is turmoil, or aggressiveness... i tend to shell up.

Anonymous said...

ah, but the thing is, we would call him Christopher, and we would use the full name Michael as well (should we choose it as a first name) as I do not care for the shortened versions much, but the I love the full name. We call Elizabeth by her full name 95% of the time, just don't like the shortened versions much. :)

Allrie said...

FF, So are you saying we could name you turtle? We used to tease my Mom that she was an ostrich because she faced problems first and foremost with a wait and see if they will go away attitude--and it usually did!

Goofyj, I have to agree with you which is why I have a Richard. I was just looking to make my point, and for phonics use would do the same thing. Incidently, since we moved, he has become Rich at school and at church among te youth...I have to adjust.