Tuesday, September 11, 2007

K is for ...Kites

As we loaded costumes into the back of my friend's van last Sat to return to our building, she apologized for the lack of room due to the fact that their family went to fly kites the day before...and I recalled a time when, with the single adults, my oldest three kids and I not only flew kites, but made them first! Fortunatly my friend Kent, [kitemaker extrodonaire!]helped a lot--my dexterity leaves something to be desired. The kites did get off the ground, tho they didn't do as well as store bought kites. Good memories.



As a kid, I had a neighbor, Randy, who would fly his kite from the cliff edge of their house. He let it out so far that it seemed to fly miles over the valley before he would reel it in. I loved to watch as I was the Charlie Brown of kite flying in our neighborhood!




Then my mind turned to darker things. Where I taught in Richmond, the science committee sponsored Kite Day each spring. I had a combined 2nd/3rd grade class that first year. My class was the overflow, asnd when I was hired, each second and third grade teacher was asked to choose who they would send on to the new class. [Very unfair to the incoming teacher because you know they did not send their best behaved students...] but one of my little second graders was of particular concern. Because of what he said and drew, I felt that he had been sexually abused [I had previously worked in an area where I received special training in catching these things.] I did not believe it was at home, nor was I sure that it was ongoing. But I was positive that it had occurred. I duly reported to the school counselor, and to my disgust it was dropped. Until kite day.



Because k-2 went out at one time, then 3-5, I sent my 2nd graders out with another class, remaining behind with my third graders. We were working away when a child from that other class came saying I was needed right away!! So out went my third graders and I. The boy I had suspected of having had sexual abuse was now pulling the pants off some of the sweetest and most naive girls in the grade level! Moms had also been called. As we discussed the situation, I learned that my concerns had not been passed on. The counselor just brushed it off because generally our school population knew more about sex than their ages warranted anyway. If the Mom had known, she could have gotten the child in for counseling, and removed him from the day care [an uncle] who was the suspected perpetrator. Those little girls would never have had to suffer such trauma.



So, now when I think about kites, I think of that infamous Kite Day where lives were changed for good and ill. Kite day was totally changed at our school by the next year. So K is not my favorite letter, but it does remind me that we should all be vey careful with our precious children [and grandchildren] and help to keep them safe from predators. My neighbors found me to be a crazy woman, but I would practice with my kids on what to do it someone snatched them--kick and howl like crazy: "This is not my mother! this is not my father!" It can save a child from a kidnapper. [We also have a code word to ride with even someone who is know to them.]



So K is for Kites. . . and Safe Kids. . . and bad Kidnappers/molesters.

2 comments:

Zen Mama said...

I can't think of anything more frustrating than when the reporter is ignored. I'm glad it got worked out in the end but I'm so sorry that it happened.

Allrie said...

Thanks. A big deal is made about reporting suspected abuse, but it really bothers me that rep[orts either are sent immediately to child services/law enforcement without the parent being spoken to first or else just ignored. If I were to face such a situation again, I would go first to the parent, then to the counselor if I still had suspicions. The law says a teacherr must report suspitions of abuse, but it does not say you can't check into it first. Believe me, I've been hesitant and careful in such suspitions because oft times there is an honest explanation of whatever happened to kick off the concerns.