Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Changes

How is it that a person can feel so great...and seemingly a few minutes later feel totally lousy? The opposite is also true. I guess we are (OK I am) too much swayed by emotions. After my routine Dr appt today I hopped on my bike and rode over to Home Depot to pick up a couple items--the weather was basically warm--I felt great. From there I went on to Walgreen's, picked up Dad's meds (a real turnabout!) and headed on home. As I rode past the bank, I saw 54 degrees--wonderful! I stopped around the post office, removed a sweater layer, put away my gloves and replaced my hat with just the ear protectors. I had a lovely tailwind and made it home quickly.
Good thing. I suddenly started to feel really crummy, checked my blood sugar (25!!!) and went in to eat. Took a nap. felt better, sorta, rechecked: 64 . Why? why? why? OK. so this time it was health related, but oft times you can feel on top of the world, then one little bump in the road makes us (OK, I confess--me) seem like life is not even worth living. How do people keep on an even keel? Or do they? Are some people just better at hiding the ups and downs? I know that I do not feel the strength of my mood swings since the advent of Prozac, nearly so much as before, but how do you not let the little things ruffle your feathers so?
I knew a girl once in our stake in Louisianna. I told Heather one time how I admired her serenity and asked her "secret". She really did have one: she was all but blind--and it was kept in the family--her family read her schoolwork to her etc. What she couldn't see didn't bother her--so she was serene. While all that may be true, there has to be more to it than that. She didn't let her blindness make her bitter or stop her from accomplishing anything she wanted to do, yes, she had familial support, but I've known others in similar types of situations just give up.
I suppose the "secret" is actually the "secret to life" or the ability to become more perfect. I used to worry a lot about learning patience, but now I see patience with myself and others as a step to a calmer, more serene existance.
That said, I still have very strong (sometimes too strong) opinions on all kinds of topics.
I fell asleep during men's hockey today--not once, but twice! (two different games) The announcing was annoying me. I am sick of hearing about this NHLer and that NHLer. I'd rather hear about the guys who are not pros--or at the very least not on that level!

5 comments:

fourth_fret said...

this probably sounds too simple allrie, but i wonder if it's a perspective thing? it seems like people who float through (the ones aware of what is going on around them) can always keep their eyes on the bigger picture. peaks and valleys are temporary- and if you hold to that idea, then it's easier to hold on till you reach the other side.

have you ever heard of a teflon mind? it's something i haven't mastered myself. but the idea is to experience the event, the emotion and REALLY experience it- without judging ... and then let it slide away. not before you're ready, but before you adopt it permanently.

i think i'm drawn to a lot of eastern philosophy- like buddhism because of their approach to peace. (beyond that aspect, i'm not so much.) but i do think there is value in simply being... without defining it sometimes.

oh man, i'm rambling now. heh.

Lura said...

You've always told me that I'm the calm one in the family. So, I guess coming from that, I can say I have no idea why I'm the calm one, or how or why I stay calm. I have noticed that things bother me more now than they used to, but I think by now I've just learned to hide it and just push it all aside. And when I can't do that I rant to Jesse (and sometimes you), then I feel better and can get over it.

terrierchica said...

I don't think Lura's calm, but for our family...meh, whatever.

Read "Tao Te Ching" by Lao-Tzu, Mom. It's like, the original Taoism. It's all about chilling and stuff. We read it for humanities and it was pretty cool.

Allrie said...

I KNOW I responded to these posts--but probably hit the wrong key, for I didn't notice, so I'll try again--for the spirit at least!

FF, I agree on the idea of perspective--I'll give it some more thought ( as you can see, I did.) I like the teflon idea. Oh, and don't worry about rambling--who am I to call the kettle black? You are always so gracious to me!

L, Richard says he's irritated all the time--but also says that he is never irritated by you. You hold some special [place there!

TR, I'll add that to my reading list. We should be making another library run soon. I've graduated--I not only have a card, but I know how to get there, too. Unfortunately, it is a bit too far for my bike.

Allrie said...

Mark, thanks for joining us. In my e-mail there wre a couple of comments from you which deleted. Hopefully it's because of a blitz or something. Feel free to comment, altho if the spelling comment refferred to me it is because I have lots of typos, as I have only one hand with which to type, and I frequently forget to proof. Plus I am a lousy speller in English. I'm immeasurably better in both Italian amd Gernam--languages which unlike English, follow the rules!

I've a good friend in VA who has immigrated from Brazil. does this mean you've "traded spaces"?