Thursday, February 16, 2006

Perspective

Today was a lovely warm day--got up to 60 degrees. Lura tells me it was a cool day in San Diego--she could wear a light jacket. I would guess our temps were probably pretty similar. Now, in our cases, we both enjoyed it, but there are those who complain if the temps drop that low in the middle of the day--they mostly live in the south. There are others who go the other way--and they like their cold northern winters. It's all a matter of perspective. So easy to understand.

Fourth Fret suggests that mood swings can also be a matter of perspective. I am sure that is correct--it's the controlling it with which I have difficuly!

After my class today, a friend and I were talking. She was asking about my brain surgeries, and upon learning that I have holes in my head, she laughingly said, "So you really are crazy!" Her husband (our bishop) walked in at that point, hearing only his wife calling me crazy--and we were laughing at the look on his face as we tried to explain. Upon learning that I have holes in my head, his immediate response was, "Oh, then you're a 'holey' woman." We groaned appreciatively. (Remember, this is our church leader who dressed as Willie Nelson-braids and all for Halloween!)

But it occurs to me that once again, it is a matter of perspective. Therefore: I resolve to become more teflon--not let things bother me so much, or slide right off, (thanks FF) to look towards the next peak, and recognize that in the valleys lay the snares. I am trying to repent for the bad attitude all too often shown to my family--not that I expect to accomplish this in a day, but I will continue to see life more joyfully, and maybe, just maybe, I can be a better example to those around me (even if, my children, you are physically far away!) and atone some for the past. I resolve to be the holey woman rather than the crazy woman!

6 comments:

Allrie said...

Yeah, well, I got to wear a sweater today, too--in the house! actually, that was Keith--I wear long johns.

fourth_fret said...

hehe, did i say that? i talk a lot, but put things into practice rarely. heh.

don't totally give up crazy. there is value in crazy too. i'm just sayin'...

:D have a good day, allrie

terrierchica said...

I walked back from the Common at 2am (we went to a midnight movie)...that's about 2 miles from my dorm. We FROZE. Like, literally. Margo and my legs itched like crazy when the blood tried to warm up again. And we were "tomato" red. (so we were told). Mike's bottle of water froze after about 15 minutes of walking. Granted, it was only about 1/8th full...but still!

Allrie said...

Thanks FF--yep there's definitely value in crazy to judge by all the discussions with everyone staking a claim in their craziness. Oh well...and we all talk better than we practice: it is definitely a state of our humanity! If we didn't think it, we wouldn't talk it, and we'd never be on the upward path:)

TC, Ever think about what layers you will need returning from your excursions? Ever think ahead about the weather--no, wait, you're in college--of course you don't! (neither did I...)

terrierchica said...

I did check the weather. I just forgot about windchill. Y'see, without the windchill it was about 10 degrees out, which we can deal with. But it was darn windy. Wind chill of about -10. Now THAT is cold.

Allrie said...

Gotta watch that wind chill--it'll getcha every time!