Monday, February 13, 2006

Snow? and Olympics

Here we are in Central Ohio. It is supposed to be snow country, right? I expected snow to be on the ground all winter long. That is what I remember from Indiana, so having returned to the north (finally) I was looking forward to a white Christmas, kids skating on the pond--especially my kid who was most anxious for the free skating time! Late Nov and early to mid Dec showed promise. Although I don't think the pond ice ever got quite strong enough for skaters, surely by January it would be ready. Not so. Although we had at least a flurry every day for weeks up to that point, on 22. Dec it stopped snowing. Then the temperatures rose well into Jan! Here we are in Feb before having anough snow to even notice again, and it stayed around only a day or so! Then a light dusting Sat night and a bit of a flurry today. Nothing real, tho. And the temps are set to rise again later this week. Since my mode of transport is a bicycle, I'm really not complaining per se., but we've suffered through the attendant ills of exposure to new germs upon moving, yet not had the benefits of snow and ice (though that I would love on the ponds, I don't miss on the streets) so no free skating, no kids outdoors coming in for hot chocolate. No White Christmas, or New Year's, or Epiphany...and looks like not for Vaentine's Day either. OK, I accept it. It has been an uncommonly mild winter here. What storms there were passed either to the north or to the south of us (just like in Richmond!) so I'm ready for the warmer temps to stay. If I can't enjoy a real winter let's get on with the business of spring!

Boy, do I sound like a whiner?! I really just want Richard to get well, and be able to go back to school! I want him to be able to get back to hockey playing...

Speaking of which...I watched the women's team play Germany yesterday. 5-0! They are doing great. Their other game was also a shut out. Apparantly each goalie has played, and each had a shut out. The youngest member of the team--the only one who has not even played for a college (yet--she's headed to Dartmouth next year) scored a goal yesterday. All the women seem so refined when interviewed. This is fun hockey. I enjoyed the opening ceremonies as well--more up my alley, as it is a SHOW! I am so thrilled--thus far I'm understanding almost all the Italian I hear. My goal: to be fluent again before I die! [Don't worry, kids, I've a very long way to go to be anything near fluent!] So, see, I'm not a complete whiner.

2 comments:

terrierchica said...

Mom, I think this is great. You talking about sports...you really sound like you know what you speak of! Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!

Allrie said...

Thank you. I was well taught.