Saturday, February 25, 2006

Secrets

We all have secrets. The names used on the internet provide us with "Secret Identities." I have just learned a secret. At least I think I've got it now. In order to make a link, you need to know a secret code. Everyones is different. I could link to Sariah's Universe because I knew her secret code. (OK, so her sister knew it) The same with my other links. The secret I haven't figured yet, is how to find that secret code when you want to link! I will do it tho. Let's face it, this is not like trying to find the secret of the Universe (no pun intended, Sariah) I am a fairly intelligent person. I will succeed. I picture myself succeeding.

Oh, affirmation is not going to cut it here? You mean Professor Harold Hill's "Think Method" for music doesn't work with the computer? Ha! Oh ye of little faith! I will overcome! This machine is not smarter than I! I can take it apart. (Note: I say nothing about putting it back together.)

**************
I have been informed (by my secret source) that our major cold spell has been cancelled. We were expecting temps back into the single digits tomorrow, but instead only 20's or teens overnight and back above freezing by Monday. Hoo-ray!

************
Monday eve. I will attend my first local town meeting. It is a special meeting called to discuss the current bike path issue. As my means of transport is my bike, and part of the bike path under discussion is part of my regular route to church, I am both intensly interested, and will likely be one of the most affected on the riding side of the issue. I gather the real issue at stake is gaining some of the right of way. However, if it is done in a similar manner as the other big bike path in town (it just looks like a blacktop sidewalk!) I really can't see why the property owners should have a problem with that. Especially the ones mentioned in the paper--their buildings stand back so very far from the road, I don't see how they would really even take much notice if bikers are going by. Also, if bikers are going by, wouldn't they rather have us not having traffic accidents in front of their property? I'm going to this meeting. At least, unlike when Richmond had single-issue meetings, there is no trying to keep it secret. I am going, and I'm excited.

*********
Why do people who supposedly love someone treat them so badly? I made a new friend at the hockey rink today who is in the midst of a very ugly divorce. Her husband keeps putting the child in the middle. Kids have a rough enough time when their parents divorce. They don't need to be part of a battleground. Can't the adults (including and perhaps especially attorneys) keep all the mess a secret from the kids, and just present them with a fait accompli--or a choice, but not a dirty mess!

7 comments:

Lura said...

Your secret source? Gee, I wonder who your secret source for weather info could be?

Have fun at the town meeting (ok, so I don't know if it'll really be fun, but I hope all goes the way that's best for you).

Ummm, can't remember if there was anything else I was going to comment on. Oh well. I love you!

Allrie said...

Hmmmm?
I announced on the way to church today that for FHE tommorow we were going to the town meeting. For R this will comple a merit badge requirement as well. Dad was all for that, but once he realized I meant him, too (its after dark--someone has to drive!)R was not the only dissenter in the ranks!
We
ll see what happens.

Sariah said...

Mom, if you want to add a link, just look at the top of that person's page. The URL is right there, no problem. Or if you want to take a link from say, my list of links, just run the mouse over it (you don't even have to click on it!) and you will see the URL at the bottom of the page. It's that easy.

And not to sound spiteful or bitter or anything, but do you think you guys kept things a secret from us during your divorce? Uuuuhhhh, no. Sorry to have to break it to you, but when you guys are yelling at each other on the phone, your voice carries. Or if you are outside of the house, fighting, thinking that we don't know because you left us inside the house... sorry. We heard and saw it all. We know it all. And you didn't keep your feelings about anything a secret from us the entire time we still lived at home. Why do you think I was scared out of my mind to have the two of you together in the same room for my wedding???? Anyway, I hope that I really and truely didn't sound all bitter and stuff there. Just telling it like it was.

Secrets are very often not the secrets we think they are. People know more about other people than they let on. That's the real secret.

fourth_fret said...

... not coming from the same perspective as Sariah. i was completely blindsided by my parents divorce. and by completely, i mean just a week prior to my dad leaving, i told one of my friends that divorce was not even a possibility in my family.

blindsided doesn't make it any easier. and the truth is, even with being blindsided- once a parent leaves, the other one falls apart. (even if they don't think they do)... and the kids are put into the adult role, while the parent left behind is struggling to find themselves, and the parent that left had no freakin' clue what is going on.

and i might be bitter. sariah is better than me.

(i hope this didn't feel like an attack by proxy. i realise your truths are not mine- and the divorce of my folks may have been a completely different set of circumstances than any divorce in your family. it's just... this is where it came up.) sorry.

Allrie said...

Sariah, thatnks for the tech help. Will try it tomorrow.

OK, divorce: Sariah, yes, you knew what was going on, but did you know from the get go? like when we were in Canada or even in IL? I think not. As you got older and more savvy, it was harder to keep secret anything. And because of my parent's situation, I didn't want to keep you as in the dark as I was.
FF, I was blindsided when my parent's divorce became official and legal. For several years I still hoped that my Dad would straighten up and come to his senses and come home and be the Dad I knew again. Didn't happen. I remember the day so well, when walking from my house to hers, my girlfriend, "A" and I were discussing divorce (a mutual friend was going thru it, and "A's" parents were fighting a lot and she was scared about it--"A's" parents divorced the following year.) I recall saying (quite smugly) "That'll never be a problem in my family 'cause we're CATHOLIC. I learned that no religion is a proof against divorce. Nothing is, except the determination of the two people most involved to stay that way--involved and invested in their marriage. I honestly think it is most unlikely ever to be a problem in my current marriage, but I learned at a tender age that things can change--my cousin was blindsided by her husband, her brother by his wife. I once heard "Divorce is spelled S-E-L-F-I-S-H-N-E-S-S." I believe it.

And I'm sorry that Sariah and siblings we'ren't more protected by the angst of our divorce.

Sariah said...

Yes, Mom, I knew a LOT of what was going on back in IL and BC. Honestly, all I remember of you and Dad together was fighting. Vinnie and Lura may not remember anything from then, but I do. I may have been quite young when you divorced, but I was old enough to know stuff. And you guys both told us things we shouldn't have heard about when we were too young. That's all.

Allrie said...

Sariah, I'm sorry. I'm smarter now than I was at the time. And I had no one to guide me at that time in the right way to help you kids.