Tuesday, February 28, 2006

We made it to the town Meeting last night. We were a little late, but it was a one topic meeting: the proposed bikepath along Groveport Rd. It is actually an historical path following the old Ohio Canal (that connected to the Erie Canal.) It is a very busy (and with all the new building) getting busier, road. It is also on the narrow side. I use it frequently as it is a goodly portion of my route to church. As my transport is a bike, I am very PRO-path. It is going to be built. As far as I could tell, there is a church that does not want it along their property. As their building sits so far back from the road that you couldn't even SEE the path from their windows, I find it horribly annoying that they are holding up the project.

I learned from the man at the hardware store (yes, Erica, Joe) that there is a lovely route to Lithopolis. He explained it to me...not the most direct route 'cause that road has a nasty hill, but a much better bike route--and Lithopolis is only 4 miles from our town! And they have a good library there! I cannot reasonably ride to the other library.

Life is different when you cannot drive. I ran out of paint today, mid-project, so jumped on my bike, determined to finish that portion of the dining room today. I also had people coming to the house so I had to be back in an hour. I made it with time to spare! (I was really really fast today!)

Usually, I go nowhere without a great deal of forethought and planning. I layer on the clothing so I can remove layers as the day goes on. I usually try to go to several places while I am in town. I figure a 4 mile round trip is not to be taken on a whim. And if I go to the drugstore or grocery or Home Depot--thats an additional 2+mi. one way. Since I didn't do it today, that means I need to go to the drugstore tomorrow--I'm out of several of my meds. Dad asked me to run an errand for him as long as I was in the area--so over to the Drs clinic to pick up a form--no big deal, just adds one mile to my total. Sigh. And after today, I was going to rest tomorrow.

I really am appreciating townships just a few miles apart. It makes sense when you don't drive. I look forward to the warmer weather, and going to explore. Between home and Lithopolis (about 1/2 way) is the township of Waterloo. I never even heard of it 'til today. And there's so much more. I've decided when you drive everywhere all in a rush--you miss out. What gems are out there, just waiting to be discovered? (I do know there is a nature preserve if I go the opposite way rather than going into town.) So my advice to one and all, slow down. Take a walk or a bike ride. See what your area offers. (Then share what you've found!)

10 comments:

terrierchica said...

I enjoy walking because there's so many street performers (okay, there are when its warm), and there's just a lot of random smaller historical sites/plaques/whatever that you miss if you drive or take the T everywhere. I tend to take the T to a specific place in the city then wander. It's great.

I think I got lost and ended up in lithopolis once.

Allrie said...

Excellent response--you prove my point. When I'm in Boston can we see some of those random type things?

Do you remember when we were in DC with Peter? We chose to walk the Mall slowly and happened upon a monument to the Founding Fathers. Both Peter & I had been there many times before, but had never seen nor heard of this monument. We found it because you wanted to explore an odd looking spot off the beaten path. We all three loved it!

Lexi said...

I personally prefer NYC, but that might be b/c my mom is from there, but still. I like walking places when its warm. My biggest accomplishment last year was while we were in NYC, by the end of our 2 weeks there I knew how to get from 55th and 9th to bloomingdales, and I know how to get to the ice rink in central park from there too. This still falls under the ame concept of walking/biking places.

terrierchica said...

lexi you only prefer NYC cause you've never been to boston. after our discussion tonight I fully expect you here in a couple years!

mom I probably couldn't name much off the bat, but we can definitely walk around downtown if you want. Seriously, it's up to you guys.

Allrie said...

Good job, Lexi. Did you notice all the street vendors? How about the architecture? And the little shops...there's always something to see in NYC!

Lura said...

I like walking. I'd love to walk somewhere if it weren't in the city. I need to move.

I think you should know that your link to Fourth Fret's page doesn't work. You may want to check that out.

fourth_fret said...

allrie- is it too intrusive to ask why you cannot drive? is it a choice not to learn, or personal reasons that are none of my business? heh.

i actually sold my car and head just about everywhere on foot now. when i first made the decision, it scared the wits out of me, because i couldn't imagine not having a car at my disposal. but now, i can see it was the right decision for me. the world seems a lot less cold without a car. that sounds weird, but it's true somehow.

Allrie said...

L--you CAN walk in the city--at your apartment I really enjoyed walking--in the actual city; at your current house, it IS a bit harder, but I walked down to the busy corner--have you tried that Mediteranean Restaurant I found for you yet? Also there were some other shops...

Thanks for the link info--I found that out last night, but will probably not get around to trying to fix it until tomorrow when my paint is drying...

FF--I am not by nature a very private person--you might have guessed that by now. No? Understatement? OK: I am epiletic--I have 7 or 8 types of seizures. I had seizure problems for several years, then as I got into the childbearing years, they tapered off to where I went off meds, and rarely had seizures (and failed to mention it to anyone when I did--no time in those days, and they weren't bad enough)went for years without seizures, then they began to get worse, first during the stress of the end of the school year, then more and more until a couple years ago I was having such constaant and severe seizures I had to admit it and go back on, then go through innumerable changes in medications. In VA (where we were until our move last fall) one must be seizure-free for six months before resuming driving, In OH I am given to understand that I cannot get a liscense at all. So I still have a valid VA liscense, and once Richard gets his permit, he can legally drive with me in the car. My liscense is set to expire ten days after he will receive his liscense. Pretty good timing, eh?
I have epilepsy because of a brain injury--I had a cerebral hemorrage (a beri anneurysm) at age 19. I recovered far more that anyone even hoped, was the first person to survive brain surgery in that part of the brain--and they do it so very differently now, that no one really knows what to guess my body will do at any given time. I only know I have no complaints, but rather I am grateful on a daily basis that I was able to do much physically for most of my kids' growing years. Poor Richard does kinda get the short end of the stick--but on the other hand, he likes knowing I'm home when he gets home from school each day--and usually I try to have his snack ready for him. (It's called "trade-offs".)

I am very impressed that you gave up your car. I know I wouldn't have if not forced to so do. I also know it has been good for me in a lot of ways. Another thing I am grateful for in my daily prayers. I think that in suburban society, it is probably not a real option, but in small towns ( like where we are) or in big cities with a good public transportation system, it is possible. (Tho. I admit not for everyone all the time.)

fourth_fret said...

wow... it was like pulling teeth trying to get you to open up. hehe

thanks for sharing all of this

Allrie said...

You're welcome:D