Thursday, March 02, 2006

Ramblin' On

After my oh, so busy Tues. I did basically nothing on Wed except to go to a production meeting for the Nativity Pageant our Ward is putting on next Dec. Left the church at 8:00, stayed up to watch Lost (well, it was a new episode!) and talked with Erica for a long while--a good discussion--I enjoyed it. Then bed. I hadn't gotten up 'til noon, took an afternoon nap and an early evening rest...I was still exhausted!

So today I was determined to DO something! First Thurs, so had class this a.m.--it was raining when it was time to leave. I thought, "Oh, well, we've got those heavy duty rain coats from when we went to WWII days a couple years ago..." but could I find one? Of course not! So back to my usual garb, and it had pretty much stopped raining by the time I left the garage. But the wind kicked up. I was ready to turn back by the time I reached the end of our road! My bed was calling. Loudly.

Determination. My Dad always said I had it, so I decided that I was determined to make it to my class. I swear there were moments on the road that I was pedalling forward as much as possible and yet was riding in place! I also made a discovery. If no cars are at the highway crossing, the light will not turn green. I waited through FOUR cycles before the Fed Ex truck came up beside me and bless him--he triggered the light! Another couple miles and I made it. Whew. I was out of steam!

After class, I stopped by the antique & candle shop to talk to Peggy, a city councilwoman about Mon night's meeting. This bike path was supposed to be completed in 2004, but it is still in the talking stage! Tomorrow I'm writing letters to the editors of the local papers. This is crazy--an accident waiting to happen--and I have had two narrow escapes in as many weeks in the disputed spot!

Then to my favorite place in town (no, not Wigwam--they're second with their pi-anna cake. Yum!) Bollenbach's True Value Hardware Store. Needed a couple little things--but mostly advise. Poor Richard. He got a hockey net for Christmas, but a few well placed slapshots, and the frame cracked (splintered, and shattered) under the pressure! I am going to build a new frame out of a more narrow gague, but thicker PVC piping, and purchase one of those tools to take the dents out of the garage door so Dad does not come unglued. (Richard does pretty well, but not all his shots will go in the net--that is an unreasonable expectation.) At least he's no Wayne Gretzky--his parents had to replace the foundation of their house!

Life goes on...rooms get painted...the outside refigerator doors got put on finally (Tues) and I must have everything done in the dining room by Sun. so the Elders (our 19/20 yr old missionaries) can put the china cabinet back together and in place before we eat. Elder Fuller looked at me with great concern Tues after they had moved the furniture for me, and asked how I planned to put it back. "We feed you Sun, so before you can eat..." He laughed.

Erica comes home Sat for a week. I'm excited. Richard's excited. Fleury is excited (her cat) (I think even Dad's excited--well what passes for excited for him!) I hope she's excited as well and we have a good visit. I love company--especially my kids.

6 comments:

Alyson said...

Enjoy your time with Erica and let her know that I like the fact that she has opinions that are different from most of us. How else would you get a discussion going if everyone agreed all the time. Thanks

Your town sounds soooo, I don't know the word I am looking for but if you've seen Gilmour Girls I would say Stars Hollow. Must be nice. Good for you for riding your bike and I nevered pictured Sariah's mum as such a handy woman. Who knew.

Lura said...

Mom likes to describe Canal Winchester (their town) as being like Stars Hollow.

Why's Erica home for a week? It can't be spring break already, can it?

terrierchica said...

Nope, I'm dropping out of college and living at home. For a week.

It's actually spring break. Exactly halfway into the semester. And my midterms are over! yay!

Mom have you told Fleury I'm coming or does he just KNOW? I know he's an absolute little furry genius, but I'm not sure he would know for sure if no one told him. What a good cat.

Sariah said...

I can't believe Erica gets to come home for spring break. Lucky. I was lucky that I even got to go home for Christmas (often not flying in until VERY late Christmas Eve). Erica, you really do have it good.

terrierchica said...

Sariah, I don't have a choice. the dorms close from the 4th-12th; I can't stay. They offer alternative housing in a hotel for $20 a night, but that'll add up to the same cost as a flight. That's why I'm going home.

Allrie said...

Alyson, thank you. I am sure Erica read what you said and it helped her to feel a little "better" about the whole thing.

As Lura said, I do describe our town as a Stars Hollow, though I really think it is actually smaller--the downtown certainly is! And instead of Luke's, we have the Wigwam. (Their pi-anna cake is to die for! and Richard says the same of the chocolate)

I'm not really such a handyman, but my husband practically breaks out in hives if he has to even enter a hardware store, and kids have this bad habit--once you get them raised up to where they can really be of help to you, they go off to school, missions and/or marriage, which in our case, is always far far away (OK, to be fair, we always move, too.) So, if I want saomething done...
except electronics...then we wait for Vinnie to visit!:D