Sunday, March 12, 2006

Timely Angels in Disguise

Most couples make the same vows when they get married:to love, cherish etc. Others write their own, but in essence they say largely the same. My husband promised me that he'd get me to work (school) and to church on time. (note: no place else--we're always late.)

Over the years I've learned where we went wrong: we didn't arrive with the same definitions of "on time."

School
We're there before the tardy bell rang--Keith.
I'm in my classroom, have time to write on the board or make any last minute changes since leaving yesterday, use the bathroom, and be on hand to greet my first students arriving--Valerie.

Church
We're there in time to take the Sacrament, even if we're in the foyer--Keith.
We arrive at church with the liesure to hang up coats, settle in our pew(s) greet and take care of any before church business with others, use the bathroom and be seated to listen to the prelude music--Valerie.

We've come to tolerate the time foibles (sorta) of the other. Last year, though, it began to really get on my nerves when we missed a plane. (Never mind all the times we've been late to pick someone up...) but today took the cake. AND IT WASN'T REALLY EVEN KEITH'S FAULT! (At least not completely...) but Erica missed her flight back to school. So we arrived home to get a call letting us know that she was stuck in Dayton until morning. (Why we didn't park and go in with her as usual is beyond me.)

Oh, the wonderful kindness of strangers! Angels in disguise--one of the security guys also works part-time with the USO and lodged Erica in the USO quarters for the night, so at least she was safe. Though I worked with a different branch of the USO in IL, I am, once again so grateful for the men and women who serve our country--and those who provide support for them.
Thank you Mr. Security/USO guy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a lot of angels in disguise in my life, it is so nice when things like that happen. It makes you so aware of God's love and watchful care. It's also nice to realize there are loving wonderful people even in the scary world in which we live. Thanks for sharing your story. :) (oh, I hate being late too, thank goodness though Paul and I are on the same page about that)

terrierchica said...

you didn't share the story of the missing keys. :-D

Allrie said...

OK, part of why we were running so late was MY fault. It was a rainy morning as we set off for church (late). My hands were full, so I called out to Richard to grab some keys and unlock the car for me. He then tossed the keys on the driver's seat. I picked them up so Keith wouldn't sit on them, and popped them into my raincoat pocket so they wouldn't get lost.

They didn't get lost, but they WERE locked in at church as it was no longer rainy and was warmish by the time we left church. Unfortunately, they were Erica's keys--including to her dorm. I made a number of calls before finding someone home to open the door.

One problem with living in a ward which is so inter-related, it can be hard to find someone on a Sun late afternoon!

I accept full responsibility in my part of the whole mess:D

fourth_fret said...

as you know, i totally believe in angels. what i did not know is that angels can help you with the location of your keys.

i'm making note of this for future key loss. heh.

(i don't know why i picked out the keys since they were a part of comments, but ... who am i to second guess myself?) ;)

Allrie said...

Wellll, I guess Patti Agler, who rushed to the church with her husband's keys to let us in to get Erica's keys from my raincoat WAS acting the part of an angel. I hadn't really thought about that, FF, but it is true. She WAS the angel in that circumstance. I'll have to tell her that in my thank you. Thanks, I hadn't thought about that.

It may be noted my thinking is not too clear these days [thought I'd say it first]:)