Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Immigration

I've just got to weigh in on the illegal immigration topic. My thoughts are a little scattered, but this is what I originally wrote in response to Fourth Fret's blog on this topic:

A firey, emotionaal topic here. I will attempt to be succinct--but you opened this can of worms, FF. I agree that illegal immigration is a horrendous problem. I do not believe that there is a one-size fits all solution, however, I do think that if we went back to the kind of immigration policies we had at the turn of the 19/20th century we'd be better off. At that time, the idea was AMERICANIZE. Learn English! Mix in with the greater population. Granted, the newest immigrants didn't always do that--but they pushed their children to do so! None of this "bi-lingual" education mess. My Dad went to school in an Italian speaking neighborhood school his first two grades. Then his father was killed, and as someone in the family had to learn English--he was plopped down in third grade in an NYC school. He learned. His sister learned. My grandmother never did, and she never Americanized, but she made sure her kids did. No one should be allowed to vote in another language, or conduct any government business. We used to be a "melting pot". Today our whole culture is at risk because we do not demand the newcomers to embrace that which has privided the very opportunities they seek.
We are a large enough country to absorb the huge numbers coming in...if they would just do it legally and culturally. I love visiting "Little Italy" in NY, Boston, Chicago, etc. I love my Italian heritage. I will sometimes say I'm Italian-American when speaking of my heritage. But I, personally, am an American. My father fought for this country, as did his father.

To say NM does not take the border problem seriously is an understatement. When we lived on the NM border a few years ago, over 500 students were coming into our school district new each year--from Mexico, with NO English--and we were paying taxes to bus them up from the border! So long as they had a post office box in the US, they could come to school. I kid you not. They would walk across the border and get on the school buses. AND becuase it was cheaper to give it to everyone than to do all the qualifying paperwork, every student in the district received FREE BREAKFAST AND LUNCH! Our tax dollars at work. Plus the large numbers of bi-lingual and ESL classes needed. Plus large numbers of special ed for these kids--many times only because of behavior or because they were so far behind their age level, many not having been in school previously. And the huge number of bi-lingual aides needed in each school office etc.

Build the walls! Support the Minute Men! We have the most porous borders on earth, it seems!


Obviously I have had some unusual experiences to form my strong opinions. Don't get me wrong. I practice what I preach. When we lived near the border, I liked to do some of my shopping in Palomas, Mexico. The bakery...mmm...

Since I believe that Mexicans who come to the US should learn to use English, when I went to Palomas, I used my best (albeit very bad) Spanish. I had lovely conversations with the bakery lady about our daughters, both of whom had gone off to college that year--I refer to S at Ricks. Her daughter, Sara, was at University in Mexico City. This was my oldest, her youngest, but both loved daughters. We regularly exchanged news bulletins, grades, boyfriend news, etc. It was the only topic where my Spanish (with a liberal dose of Italian) could take me with her comfortably. I would bet I was her favorite Anglo customer because I did not walk in expecting her to speak English (which she didn't.)

It is not only "hispanics" (which oddly enough does not 'legally' include those who are from Hispania or Spain) or "Latins" (which seemingly no longer includes those from the original Latin nation: Italy) but people from all over the world who come to America to better their lives, but seemingly want to keep their whole culture and not accept ours--which is, after all what they come for. It is our culture that makes us accepting of others who are different, the immigrant ideal is ingrained in our society. Is there any family that does not have an immigrant or two within the previous generation?

In my own family: I am only second generation American. I've a son-in-law who was raised in Canada, and his mother was born in Germany. I've a daughter-in-law whose mother was born in Germany. My foster son's mother-in-law is from the Philipines. I had a room mate from England, who married and stayed here. I've had friends from Mexico, Germany, the Philipines, Thailand, Honduras, Guatamala, Japan, Korea, Peru, Brazil, and others. All legal immigrants. All we ask is that we have secure borders. That includes legal immigration. But it excludes illegal immigration of every or any type.

7 comments:

Proud Mum said...

You already know how I feel but I just had to drop a comment, partially because I love being the first one to comment (yes, I'm a freak) and also because I've been lurking on your blog for so long and you've been so nice to de-lurk and comment on mine.

April_Mommy said...

well said allrie... well said. Such an emotional and disturbing topic. Like I said on Heather's blog, I fear the future. I fear that the L.A. Riots from Rodney King will begin again with a different minority at the helm. I can just feel the tensions building and yet I see nothing on the horizon to defuse them...

fourth_fret said...

i agree with april. i see those same tensions rising, but i didn't see it at first. in fact, my own energy about it all didn't go fullscale until i started seeing people who haven't EARNED rights marching in the streets with mexican flags in one hand, and upside down american flags in another. i mean, i totally am for celebrating your heritage- but when you can't celebrate the nation you are screaming you have rights in, when legally, you've determined why you don't have rights... i lose my patience.

i don't see this ending well either. and it's too bad, because it will mar the entire latino, hispanic community when it shouldn't. there are plenty of law abiding people in this community. but they'll still ultimately pay the cost, i'm afraid.

Allrie said...

PM...so what is your comment?don't leave us all in suspence:)

AM...Definitely a concern. Once again, a sign of the last days--rumors of wars--for wars they are amongst us.

FF...I'm afraid you are right...wjere will it all lead? As I read my scriptures--in Italian--tonight, proudly understanding more and more daily, I think of those who are struggling to learn English, and I feel an obligation to those who are trying to Americanize to help and befriend them, but I feel especially discouraged when I read the articles about the Mexicans who want to "reclaim the American Southwest." Ridiculous! But way too many take the idea seriously, as if there is some right involved here.

As a child in So. Calif (inland--away from the city areas) I lived in an Anglo town where I was not quite accepted because we as VCatholic Italians were considered Latins. But we went to Catholic school in the neighboring hispanic community, where we were viewed with suspition as Anglos (English speaking). We couldn't win.

In college at the Catholic "University of San Diego, I was there when "Chicano rights" were being pushed. The Chicano student union wanted to renaim one of te buildings some long Spanish name after who knows who the guy was. Tempers flared. It was becoming ugly. A few of us Italian students banded together and with the help of a Portugese friend on the paper staff, slipped in our own "demands" Of course we echoed in the most ridiculous manner all the Chicano demands. We wanted the Christofor vcolombo Building, with the dedication to be held on 12 Ottobre. We wanted the Sons of Italy to do the dedication...etc. You know, the whole thing was dropped after that. If only it were so easy today. It is all such a poweder keg. Where will it lead? It is hard to respect a culture which is direct opposition to the host culture.

Allrie said...

Mark, thanks for joining us. In my e-mail there wre a couple of comments from you which deleted. Hopefully it's because of a blitz or something. Feel free to comment, altho if the spelling comment refferred to me it is because I have lots of typos, as I have only one hand with which to type, and I frequently forget to proof. Plus I am a lousy speller in English. I'm immeasurably better in both Italian amd Gernam--languages which unlike English, follow the rules!

I've a good friend in VA who has immigrated from Brazil. does this mean you've "traded spaces"?

fourth_fret said...

mark makes some really good points. what they fail to admit while claiming americans won't do these jobs, is that with the new legislation, wages will become fair wages, and these jobs will be beneficial to americans when the wages are fair, and at a degree in which people can actually live off of them.

right now illegals are basically getting screwed too, because the wages they work for are often times well below a livable wage. and they don't have options for better jobs.

with proper documentation (work visas that they will be rewarded with for literally breaking laws)... they will be eligible for other jobs, and they won't accept the jobs they are doing now. what will that do? encourage MORE illegals to come take the jobs they will abandon as quickly as they can.

part of the answer lies in the industries paying illegals. shut them down. period. let the people willing to pay fair wages pay fair wages, and the people who are not... well, why should they be allowed to compete with those abiding by the law?

it is incredible what is happening over this right now. i cannot believe our leadership is so willingly destroying America's fabric, and integrity.

it is truly insane. but then, so am i. heh.

Allrie said...

Mark brings up an excellent point. Without all the illegal working for illegal wages, the job market would open up more--and if "living wages" are too hig, then perhaps wage limit exceptions could be made for teens, or certain types of jobs, or whatever it took. There was a Farm owner in Florida recently who said he can't afford to hire legals because,mot only did he have to pay a much higher wage, but according to the current laws, he also had to provide housing, medical, and even a vehicle for recreation one day each week! Some common sense needs to be added to the mix here, and those types of laws need revisiting as well!

Oh, and M, my friend from Brazil is here legally, having entered on a fiance visa and remaining as a spouse.

FF explains the situation well, except, are you going back to that crazy topic again? The crazy ones are those who refuse to see what they are doing to our country. Sigh.