Friday, March 31, 2006

As I watched the evening news, I saw reports of THREE unrelated child grabbing attempts in the greater Columbus area just today!!

It has been a generation since it seemed to be such a relevant and constant danger. I would like to share what I learned about safe guarding one's kids--especially as temps moderate and we all get outdoors more.

First: Call the police station for info on where you can get a child ID kit made up. Many organizations make tem. At the least, you need your child's picture (and be careful to keep it current) and fingerprints. Any identifying marks should also be recorded (birthmarks, scars, the fact of the child knowing sign language or Spanish, or whatever. You keep this file for the awful "just in case" so you can put as much personal info in it as possible (then, in an emergency siyuation, you don't have to scramble around for pics or info. Some hairs (including the root) is good nowadays for the DNA.

Next: Teach your children. Obviously you've taught them not to get in a car with a stranger, but from personal experience I can say that is not always enough. Teach them not to go with anyone you didn't tell them to go with, unless that person gives the secret password. This includes police. If a policeman wants to talk to them, ask to read his badge. [Even if your child can't really read well, yet, a "bad guy" won't neccessarily know that. It is OK to "talk to strangers. We all do it--in passing. Help your child to understand the difference between good talking and dangerous talking. Never give a stranger info on yourself. If an adult asks for direction to someplace, give them loudly out of arm's reach.

IF a child is grabbed, he needs to know to kick and scream, but that is not enough. He needs to yell "this is not my mother, this is not my father, etc." If you as an adult see a child fussing with an adult, isn't your immediate reaction to think "Yay, it's not my child fussing in public--this time." We see it all the time, Usually what we see is what is true--a disobedient child. But what about that 1/1000th time?

IF a child is approached and feels uncomfortable, he needs to run. Even if it is to run into a strangers house--much safer than staying out on the street if feeling endangered. Hopefuylly you know your neighbors well enough that your kids can know which houses are "safe" houses.

Once back when I was a young teen, my friend and I were walking down a farm road when we realized a truck was keeping pace with us. We pretended not to notice, but hurried to the closest house. We walked right in the door like we owned the place, explained to the lady there why we had just walked in. She called the police. An arrest was made. I don't know the particulars after that, but I've always been glad my Mom taught me to do that.

When I was in San Diego after Jago was born, one aftenoon I was the only one home when I noticed a girl looking to be about 10yrs old across the street. A man drove up in a car and started talking to her. She was very upset. He seemed to be trying to get her into the car. I was concerned and so walked over there. The lady next door did the same at the same time, so we each talked to one of the people at a distance from each other. Turns out it was Grandpa who was now raising the girl and sis and was trying to get her to come home for dinner. Since they both gave the same story without hearing the other one, we decided they were undoubtedly telling the truth. He thanked us for checking him out, for being convcerned enough to watch and act when we saw something suspicious.

We all need to help make our children and our communities at large safer. One thing more: there are so very many Moms out working these days, it is good, if you are an at home Mom, to make that known around your neighborhood. Welcome the kids to your yard, be a familiar and safe haven for those who need it. There are some awfully hoorific situations out there in the world today...and it only continues to worsen. You'll never be sorry to be the house that all the kids hang out at. Tho. your kids might be, as they grow older, and they think their parents are hopeless embarrassments while other kids say,"Your Mom is way cooler than mine." And don't begrudge the time and energy spent on behalf of other people's kids--it only helps your in the long run.

I am grateful for all the kids who have been special parts of our family through the years. I am also grateful for other adults who have served special places in my kids lives--enriching them and helping them to grow up into the world at large. It can be a very scarey place, but does not need to be so if we can be prepared, for as the scripture says, "If ye are prepared, ye shall not fear." All this kind of stuff has to be a concern, but not a fear.

OK, I'm stepping off my soapbox now.:D

8 comments:

Proud Mum said...

You bring up some good points, thanks!

I remember the "not without the password" rule, though I don't remember any of our passwords because I never, ever had to use them.

The funny thing is, child-snatching has been ingrained in me as an omnipresent worry and yet many of the other mothers my own age don't even think about it. They're worried about other things, like the bird flu.

I guess we all have different neuroses.

Lura said...

I remember our password, I think it was a great one, as there's no way just anyone could think of it. I also remember you practicing the whole grabbing us and trying to get us into the car while we were yelling "This is not my mother."

I think I'm the odd one in the family, but I don't remember being all that embarrased by you, Mom. I thought it was cool that my friends could come over and they all thought you were cool, too.

Allrie said...

True, but I just don't see bird flu as an omnipresent worry--even tho E got West Nile, I always have and always will worry more about my children, and grandchildren's physical safety first!

I was also one of those neurotic Moms who dressed all her kids alike when going into crowds.

(My family once lost me at Knott's Berry Farm. I was at least 12 and it was only for about 15 minutes--but I've never gotten over it.)

I think that the password etc. is almost as much for the children's sense of safety as it is with actual safety. Kind of like my knowing as a kid where "the box" was with all the legal paprs etc should anything happen to my parents, and that Uncle Bob would come take care of us.

Thank you for your kind words, Lura.

Tonight R came home from Ru.'s house asking to go spend the night. After my yes, and all preparations were completed, Ru. gave me a hug as they went out the door. So I said R had to give me a hug, too. Ru. says,"So if I give you a kiss, does that mean R will, too?" So another hug and a kiss, R was trapped! I'm still working on getting the embarrassing my kids down pat--and it is so fun when their friends help!

terrierchica said...

Is Ru Rutt? Is that how he spells his name? That kid has awesome hair. If he were older...;-)

One more thing, though. It's important to keep records of ANY medicines that the kids may be on. When a kid is found, they usually haven't been treated all that well (allow me to speak bluntly). The EMTs that are called, and they will be called, need to know the child's medical history. So even if the kid occasionally takes dimatapp, or is alergic to mangos, make sure that those in charge know.

Mom, you should volunteer for an organization that helps find missing children or helps make the ID kits or whatever. You'd be good at it.

fourth_fret said...

i don't remember what our rules were growing up when it came to strangers. it might be that my sister and i had different rules... because i was a big, fat chicken. i was scared of my own shadow. and i wouldn't talk to my parents in public, much less a stranger. heh.

i'm still a big, fat chicken. i'm friendlier now, but make sure everyone knows i know where they are...

paranoia is our friend.

Allrie said...

Erica makes a good point about meds and allergies--both to meds and to other stuff--especially peanuts!
You can get "dogtags" made to say whatever, also medic alert bracelets or necklaces can be engraved with multiple ailments--mine says epileptic
diabetic

and I carry a list of my current meds in my diabetic testing kit as I take with me wherever I go. At E's incistance, I also have a current list of my meds posted on the fridge in case of emergency. I also keep all my meds together. If we ever have an emegency in our house, I just hope it's not my husband as I've so far been unsuccessful in getting hime to take similar precautions.

FF I agree. Paranoia can be our friend when it causes us to be prepared--not, however when it paylizes us.

FeatherSky said...

The yelling, "This is not my mom!" part made me giggle. I have a friend with a 3 year old boy. She taught him to say that if someone grabbed him. One day she went grocery shopping with him. He wanted to get candy out of one of the quarter machines as they were leaving and she told him no. So he started throwing a big fit. She finally managed to get him out of the store, and he sat down and wouldn't move. She was carrying her baby in one arm, so she picked him up in a foot-ball like hold in the other arm to get him to the car. And then he started screaming at the top of his lungs "THIS ISN'T MY MOMMY!!!! HELP!!!!" She said she had a bit of explaining to do to the people who came over trying to rescue this kid!!

Great safety tips!! :)

Allrie said...

Good for those who intervened...how could they know the boy was puposely fibbing? It is always better to err on the side of safety--and I'll bet your friend doesn't worry over much about whether her son knows what to do if he IS ever grabbed :)