Wednesday, February 22, 2006

HGTV addiction

As stated before--I watch waaay too much HGTV. For the uninitiated that's "the home improvement channel". There are a wide variety of shows. I blame my addiction on Erica. Yes, you, Erica. It all started out so innocently with this show for teenagers bedroom makeovers. With Lura's amazeing painting skills, and a little luck (Erica and I had picked out and purchased the right furniture years earlier...) anyway, Erica's room became a ships' cabin with portholes looking out to the sea and pirate props originally from our"Trunk or Treat" Pirates of the Carribean theme. "Just 'cause my room's so cool now, Mom, it doesn't mean you can hang out in here."
Now that I have my own house--I watch painting shows, design shows, organization shows, etc. but I don't just watch...for example, today as I ran through several shows, I built, painted, and mounted a shelf in the corner over the TV for the cable box. (remember all those plugs...I had to make a cut-out for them.)
Tomorrow I get back to work on the dining room. It is coming along nicely, and the walls are almost complete. The corner cabinet needs only the bottom corner pieces attached (well, painted, too) and it will be done. I even remembered today while at the hardware store to get "mirror clips" to replace the broken clips holding the glass in the doors and sides of the China cabinet. I also have all the makings now for two trays to go under my Mom's two black Japanese lamps. Threy have inlaid mother-of-pearl, giving them an almost silvery look against a black lacquer (sp? sound it out) Beautiful. But they will be in a room decorated with gold curtains and gold stripes on the walls, and sit atop the two "Art & Crafts Chocolate" cabinets. Did NOT work. So I got tiles: gold and silver, and am making trays for the lamps to sit upon. Pulls the whole effect together! And I can build them while watching HGTV! Always up for more ideas! Almost finished downstairs...look out bedrooms, I'm coming!
This is soooo much fun--it is the kind of outlet I've only had in recent years for my (OK. overly)elaborate Nativity set. I remember why I liked being Properties Mistress in both HS and college.
I beg your forgiveness, Erica, I guess my addiction began before there was an HGTV or even an Erica.

11 comments:

Lura said...

I would say something about how addicted you are, but then I'm just as bad. I can't wait till you finish the dining room and post pictures. I want to see what it looks like! As for the whole going wild painting and all, well, you've seen Jago's room. It is awefully fun to do.

I think that's why I decided to become a designer. I really like getting to come up with this stuff. Though at times I wonder why I chose scenic design as opposed to becoming an interior decorator. But then I realize that it's because I can't get away from theatre. It's got it's hooks into me, and I'm well and truly caught.

terrierchica said...

You blame it on me!?

Now that's unfair.

Hmph.

And you wonder why I am slowly going crazy 1 2 3 4 5 6 switch...

Allrie said...

The dining room: the window wall was painted today. The corner cabinet (ex-wood box, which I realized is an old military wooden locker box like my Dad's from the Korean War) is completed. I am exhausted.

TC, if you read all the way to the end, you'll see I admit it is really not your fault!

terrierchica said...

why do you say tc?

Lura said...

Think about it, Erica. You're TerrierChica. You know Mom. If you weren't TC then she'd refer to you as E.

terrierchica said...

well E is better.

terrierchica said...

by the way, I'm listening to old music. the long 8 minute version of American Pie. It's actually kind of sad.

Sariah said...

8 minutes??? The long version is 12 minutes.

Allrie said...

E, I referred to you as TC for terrierchica to help your anonominiminiminity.
And S is right: 12 minutes. It is sad--it is supposed to be sad. But I wouldn't call it OLD music, now maybe something like "The Man on the Flying Trapeze" or a Minuet...or Gregorian Chant. Yeah, that's OLD music. I remember it well from my childhood. (You can laugh now, but you know what I mean.)

So did you understand that I am not in the end blaming my addiction on you?

terrierchica said...

what anonyminity? (how many extra syllables do you need mom!?)
you already used my name in your post and I don't care, obviously.

Allrie said...

Sorry, ERICA, but not only can't I spell certain words, but I can't even sound them out 'cause I can't say them.