Sunday, February 12, 2006

Creative?

I am truely enjoying working on my home. I know I probably (strike that last word!) watch way too much HGTV. Being in our first 'own' home, and as it was a brand new house--well that gives the opportunity to be creative, to decorate how I want to do it! The only constriction, is, of course, funding. I went to Home Depot yesterday with $100.00 in my pocket (last payment for the washer & dryer we sold.) and managed to stick to my list and still have to pull out the credit card--I was $2.00 over! And now I know that I need 4 more tiles--at $4.35 ea. it mounts up! Then I went to True Value and spent another $30.00. I will probably need a couple, three more jars of the gold paint, and several lengths of wood trim yet, as well as a few packages of decorative pieces, but the dining room is nearing completion! And I have the materials to finish the last bit of the living room. It is so exciting! Dad admitted that the wood box, now a cabinet, looks good--he didn't think it COULD turn out so well. Oh he of little faith! One method did not work, but another did...proveing the old adages right: "If at once you fail, try, try again." "There's more than one way to skin a cat." I've decided that goal making is a physical thing, not just mental. I've made mental goals--I will write in my journal daily etc. but this is physical when I haul the wood, the paint, and the tools into the kitchen. SOMETHING has to be done with all that stuff. Now if I could just find a place to keep my journal--in the middle of the kitchen...

5 comments:

Lura said...

I thought the old adage was "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."

Allrie said...

Yeah, you're right. But there is one about trying again if you fail--I just got them a bit mangled. Mrs. Malaprop?

The point is, I got the job done--differently than originally planned, but done, none the less. I really need Dad to teach me how to use the camera so you can see it.

Sariah said...

Hee hee. You said "a couple, three".

Allrie said...

Just for you, Sariah!:)

Allrie said...

I actually do like doing it myself(although I'd like to have had someone who could really use the wood grain painting tool do it)
but I also love Candace. My favorite is "The Painted House"
Oh, and the way my cabinets are actually turning out has a real name! They are Oh Crud! I forgot the term just as I was about to type it!--but it is WHATEVER chocolate. The first one looks pretty darn good, so I have every expectation of the second one turning out well also. And once again I've sidestepped sanding all the way down! This is much easier. And I really am not worried about the lack of matching my china cabinet. It looks fine. Did I tell you about my clever trays?