Thursday, February 23, 2006

Confused

I am so confused...when I logged on to write--I had to go through a couple of extra screens. They shouldn't do this to me. I am old. I confuse easily. My son calls me a techno-phobe. I think he's being a little extreme, but I am not comfortable when things changge on me like that. Now I can't even remember what I was going to write about. And it would have been scintillating! Perhaps. Instead, I am just confused. I want to add a link, but I guess I'll have to call Lura and haver her walk me through it again.

The computer age is great and all, but let's face it, you have to be on your toes ALL the time. The changes come so rapidly that once I get really comfortable with a program--boom! the upgrade is out, and we must use it! But I just learned how to use the last one--and still had plenty to learn on it as well. All too often, it seems I must begin from scratch. Is that even a concept any more? Making anything from scratch...

I'm confused again. My husband just came in and wanted to check his e-mail. No-problem, I went to minimize this page but he stopped me. "Go to File," he says. He directs a me through a few more screens--why couldn't I just do it my way? Isn't anything ever simple any more?

So I've decided that Allrie's Mountaintop is the capital of the State of Confusion. I definitely dwell here.

8 comments:

Lura said...

Poor Mom. Call me tomorrow and I'll walk you through adding a link again. Though be amazed that I can do it, I had to have Sariah walk me through it twice before I figured it out.

As for the upgrade stuff, I know how you feel. Sometimes it's nice having new features, but other times I feel that they should just leave well enough alone.

Allrie said...

I am determined to do this on my own--I think I figured out where I went wrong.

Amen on the upgrades.

fourth_fret said...

heh. i got a chuckle out of this because i am VERY anti technology. the first cell phone i ever got, i had turned off within two weeks because it felt intrusive. i have another one now, but never use it. i only have it in case i'm kidnapped, stuffed into a trunk, and headed to some secluded spot in the desert and need the police to hear my frantic calls without being able to tell them my location. heh.

it's awesome that you try to tackle these things though. when i get stumped, i just pretend it doesn't exist. that's effective. ;)

Allrie said...

FF--Are we ubknowingly related? While I get mad at and refuse to let the technology I need get the better of me, I LOVE your system--it is the same system I use for mending."Mom, can you sew this..." My answer is always, "Sure, put it in the mending basket." Yes, I CAN fix it, but if you just wait, the child will grow out of the garment thus avoiding the need to mend!
With technology, I use a similar system. I learn what I need and don't worry about the rest.
The only cell phone I have, is my son-in-law's old phone. In case I ever decide to have one...(Don't hold your breathe--Sariah still explains to me at least monthly that with a cordless phone I can go anywhere in the house. I really do know this. In my head. Not nevvessarily my actions.

Lura said...

What's this? Mending basket? Ok, so I dimmly recall that we had one, what I seem to remember is the refrain of "The word 'sew' is not in my vocabulary." Which is, of course, why Dad would bring stuff (like buttons) to ME to sew on.

Allrie said...

I love you, Lura.

Sariah said...

Yes, and Mom is the reason that I'm still scared of my sewing machine. While quilting yesterday morning, it took me a while to get comfortable. I told the other ladies, "I just need some adult supervision, and I'll be fine". At the end, I was told that I could go home and make another block just like we did at quilting class. HA! Like I'll face my sewing machine ALL ALONE!!!

I think I need to attend Sewing-phobias Annonymous. "Hello, my name is Sariah, and I'm scared of my machine. Because my mom always said sew is not in her vocabulary."

Allrie said...

Get it right: "The word sew is not in my vocabulary"...
Yeah, well I'm scared of sewing machines 'cause I think I'll run over my left hand because I can't move it fast enough--even accomplished seamstresses have the occasional accident!

Also...when my mother opened up her sewing machine, we kids packed our lunches and headed for the hills. It really was a rare occasion--and it was also the ONLY time I ever heard my mother swear!
So I come by my phobia honestly, too.
On the flip side HER mother could make anything! She'd window shop, at Marshall Field's downtown Chicago (where she worked) then go home and duplicate the most expensive clothing at a fraction of the cost. Just try to remember you have her genes, too.:D